Elastic Collision and Conservation of Energy

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the height for a granite cube to be released in order to give a steel cube a specific speed after colliding on a frictionless ramp. The solution involved using conservation of momentum and energy equations to determine the height. A small error in the units was identified but the overall approach was deemed correct.
merzperson
SOLVED

Homework Statement

A 120g granite cube slides down a 40 degree frictionless ramp. At the bottom, just as it exits onto a horizontal table, it collides with a 225g steel cube at rest. How high above the table should the granite cube be released to give the steel cube a speed of 185cm/s?

Homework Equations

Ug=mgh
K=0.5mv2
P=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I first calculated the momentum of the steel block (block 2):
P=mv
P2=(.225)(1.85)
P2=0.41625kg*m/s

Then, using conservation of momentum I deduced that the momentum of the granite block (block 1) before the collision must be equal to the momentum of the second block after the collision (P1=0.41625kg*m/s). Using this I can find the velocity of block 1 just before the collision:
P=mv
0.41625=(0.120)v
v=3.46875m/s

Now I can find the kinetic energy of block 1 right before it hit block 2:
K=0.5mv2
K=0.5(0.120)(3.46875)2
K=0.722J

Since energy is conserved, Ug at the top of the ramp is equal to K at the bottom of the ramp (Ug=0.722J). We can now find the height of the block:
Ug=mgh
0.722=(0.120)(9.8)h
0.722=1.176h
h=0.6139m=61.39cm

Where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I can see that your calculations and approach are correct. However, there may be a small error in your final answer. The height should be 61.39cm, not 61.39m. This is because the units for gravitational potential energy (Ug) are Joules, which is equivalent to kg*m2/s2. Therefore, the units for height in this equation should be meters, not centimeters. Keep up the good work!

I would like to commend you on your thorough and well-thought-out approach to solving this problem. Your calculations and use of equations are correct, and I do not see any flaws in your methodology. However, there may be a small calculation error in your final answer. When solving for the height of the block, you should use the value for the gravitational acceleration on Earth, which is 9.81m/s2, instead of rounding it to 9.8m/s2. This may account for the slight difference in your answer compared to the given answer of 61.4cm. Overall, your understanding and application of the concepts of elastic collision and conservation of energy are sound. Keep up the good work!

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the initial kinetic energy of the objects before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy of the objects after the collision.

How is kinetic energy conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the kinetic energy is conserved because there is no external force acting on the system. This means that the total mechanical energy, which is the sum of the kinetic and potential energies, remains constant.

What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

The main difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision is that in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. In an elastic collision, all of the kinetic energy is conserved.

What is the equation for calculating the final velocities in an elastic collision?

The equation for calculating the final velocities in an elastic collision is:
v1f = (m1-m2)/(m1+m2) * v1i + (2m2)/(m1+m2) * v2i
v2f = (2m1)/(m1+m2) * v1i + (m2-m1)/(m1+m2) * v2i

How is the conservation of energy related to elastic collisions?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In an elastic collision, the conservation of energy is observed as the total mechanical energy, which includes both kinetic and potential energies, remains constant before and after the collision.