Elastic Collision on an Incline

In summary, the smaller mass goes up the incline at a much slower speed than the block that was on the incline when it hit it.
Soaring Crane
A block of mass m = 2.20 kg slides down a 30 degree incline which is 3.6 m high. At the bottom it strikes a block of mass M = 7 kg which is at rest on the horizontal surface. If the collision is elastic and friction can be ignored, determine the:

speeds of the two blocks

and

how far back up the incline the smaller mass will go.

Does this involve collisions in two dimensions? Please respond with any help if you can.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find the speed of the block that was on the incline when it hits the second block. Now you should have some 2D collision formulas that will allow you to find the velocities of the blocks after the collision. At that point, you can find the distance up the incline the smaller mass will travel (using energy concepts).

Do this by taking the collision to happen on the horizontal surface (HS) -- the 7kg block must sit on the HS, the 2.2kg block slides down the incline on to the HS (not losing speed) collides with the 7kg block, then slides back up the incline. So do the problem in 3 steps: find the speed of the 2.2kg block at the bottom of the incline, do the 1-D collision (conserving momentum and energy), then find how high the 2.2kg block goes.
2D formulae won't work because they assume that no forces act during the collision, but here there will be forces exerted by the surfaces that will act (otherwise the particles would not move along the surfaces!).

Would you mind posting your answers? I did it, but I'm not sure if I did it right :) thanks.

Post yours first. :smile:

haha, wasn't sure if I was allowed to... :/

v_m = -7.756086752 (opposite direction)
v_M = 3.774815111

Second one follows from this, so no answer needed.

Oops! I thought you were the original poster. Oh well! Good fun. I would check those answers but I don't feel like digging up those formulas. :smile:

We'll see what Soaring Crane has to say.

1. What is an elastic collision on an incline?

An elastic collision on an incline is a type of collision between two objects on an inclined surface where there is no loss of kinetic energy. In this type of collision, the two objects bounce off each other without any deformation or loss of energy due to friction or other external forces.

2. What factors affect the elastic collision on an incline?

The factors that affect an elastic collision on an incline are the masses of the objects, their velocities before and after the collision, and the angle of the incline. These factors determine the amount of kinetic energy that is conserved during the collision.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect the elastic collision?

The angle of the incline affects the elastic collision by changing the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on the objects during the collision. As the angle increases, the component of the force acting parallel to the incline increases, leading to a change in the objects' velocities after the collision.

4. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision on an incline?

An elastic collision on an incline is a collision where there is no loss of kinetic energy, while an inelastic collision on an incline is a collision where some of the kinetic energy is lost due to deformation or other external forces. In an inelastic collision, the objects stick together after the collision, while in an elastic collision, they bounce off each other.

5. How can the conservation of energy be applied to an elastic collision on an incline?

The conservation of energy can be applied to an elastic collision on an incline by using the equation for conservation of mechanical energy, which states that the sum of the kinetic and potential energies before the collision is equal to the sum of the kinetic and potential energies after the collision. This equation can be used to solve for the velocities of the objects before and after the collision.