Elastic Collision: Explaining the Energy Transfer in a Turtle-Lion Collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a collision between a turtle and a lion on a frictionless field, where the lion is observed to have more kinetic energy than the turtle after the collision. The participants share their thoughts on how this is possible and what can be learned from the observation. It is suggested that the collision is elastic and that the turtle may have been heavier and/or moving faster before the collision. However, it is also pointed out that the turtle may have only been heavier or moving faster and that either the momentum or kinetic energy has to be greater in order for the lion to have more kinetic energy after the collision.
Dan350
What would you respond on this question?
Would you correct me if necessary on my response please?
Thanks

1. A turtle and a Lion have a violent collision on a frictionless horizontal field. As you witness the collision you realize that you are in the center of mas system. After the collision you note that the lion has more kinetic energy than the turtle.Explain how can this be possible and state what you have learned about the collision the lion an the turtle from the observation.

3. For me this is an elastic collision problem. For me, the only way the lion has more kinetic energy AFTER the collison is that the turtle was heavier than the lion an was moving faster. The Lion had to be not moving before the colliision.
What I learned about the observation was that not matter the size, what matters iswhats happening on the sceneario,, in this case the turtle moving faster

Physics news on Phys.org
The lion's p1 = m1 v1. The turtle's p2 = m2 v2. (v2 < 0).
The collision need not be elastic. Of course, it isn't totally inelastic either (some k.e. remains).

Juggle p1 and p2 around so that 1/2 m1 v1^2 > 1/2 m2 v2^2 even though m2 << m1.

(If you're at the c.m. then the lion cannot have initial velocity = 0. Remember, the c.m. does not change at any time.)

Dan350 said:
For me this is an elastic collision problem. For me, the only way the lion has more kinetic energy AFTER the collison is that the turtle was heavier than the lion an was moving faster.
As rude man says, it is not necessarily elastic. Pls post your reasoning for your conclusions.

So what's happening,, how can have more kinetic energy after the collision?
and, haru, what i was thinking was that the turtle had to hit the lion harder in orde to it to have more kinetic energy

Dan350 said:
So what's happening,, how can have more kinetic energy after the collision?
and, haru, what i was thinking was that the turtle had to hit the lion harder in orde to it to have more kinetic energy

You cannot have more k.e. after the collision than before.

You have to choose v1 and v2 such that the lion has more k.e. than the turtle after the collision. See my post #2.

Dan350 said:
what i was thinking was that the turtle had to hit the lion harder in orde to it to have more kinetic energy
Sure, but you cannot go from there to conclude that the turtle was both heavier and moving faster. It may only be one of the two. Could it be either, or does it have to be a particular one? Or is it the momentum or KE that has to be greater?

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

How is kinetic energy conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved because the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. This is due to the fact that there is no external force acting on the system, so there is no energy lost to external factors such as friction or heat.

What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy, while in an inelastic collision, there is a loss of kinetic energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted to other forms such as heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved.

Can an elastic collision occur in real life?

Yes, elastic collisions can occur in real life. Some examples include collisions between particles in a gas, collisions between billiard balls, and collisions between atoms in a gas or liquid. However, it is rare for a collision to be perfectly elastic, as there is usually some loss of kinetic energy due to external factors.

What are the equations used to calculate the velocities of objects in an elastic collision?

The equations used to calculate the velocities of objects in an elastic collision are the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, and the conservation of kinetic energy equation, which states that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.