Solving Elastic Collision - Get Help Now!

In summary, a cart with a mass of 340 g moving on a frictionless linear air track at an initial speed of 1.2 m/s undergoes an elastic collision with an initially stationary cart of unknown mass. After the collision, the first cart continues in the same direction at 0.66 m/s. Using the equations for Conservation of Momentum and Conservation of KE, the mass of the second cart can be found to be 0.127 kg. The equations and values can be found in the PDF link provided. The mistake that was made in solving the problem was not cancelling out the term vi - v1, which resulted in a quadratic equation. Once this term was cancelled, the correct value for the mass of the second
johnhuntsman
A cart with a mass of 340 g moving on a frictionless linear air
track at an initial speed of 1.2 m/s undergoes an elastic collision with an
initially stationary cart of unknown mass. After the collision, the rst cart
continues in the same direction at 0.66 m/s. (a) What is the mass of the
second cart? (b) What is its speed after the collision?

I have two equations: Conservation of Momentum and Conservation of KE (since this is elastic).

m1vi = m1v1 + m2v2

.5m1vi2 = .5m1v12 + .5m2v22

I've solved for v2 using the equation for Conservation of Momentum, and plugged that into the equation for Conservation of KE and my answer is wrong (used up about a page of algebra, please don't expect me to type it out all on here). The correct answer can be found using the method in the PDF below.

http://www.physics.ucc.ie/py1052_ps6.pdf (problem 8)

My issue is that they solve for v1f (or as I called it in the equations above, v1) and yet v2f (or v2) is nowhere to be found on the side opposite of their v1f. I don't see how their algebra makes any sense. All I want is someone to explain this to me as this is supposed to be a straightforward question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
johnhuntsman said:
.5m1vi2 = .5m1v12 + m2v22
You missed a 0.5 there. Is it as simple as that?
My issue is that they solve for v1f (or as I called it in the equations above, v1) and yet v2f (or v2) is nowhere to be found on the side opposite of their v1f.
They used the momentum equation to get v2f in terms of the other variables, then substituted that in the KE equation.

haruspex said:
They used the momentum equation to get v2f in terms of the other variables, then substituted that in the KE equation.

v2f = [m1vi - m1vf] / m2

Substitute that into cons. of KE:

.5m1vi2 = .5m1v12 + .5m2[(m1vi - m1v1) / m2]2

Which still doesn't look like what they have. This is what I solved and I ended up getting .127 kg. What mistake have I made at this point that I'm not seeing?

P.S. Eqn. for conservation of KE is fixed.

johnhuntsman said:
.5m1vi2 = .5m1v12 + .5m2[(m1vi - m1v1) / m2]2

Which still doesn't look like what they have.
Work with that some. You should find vi - v1 cancels, getting rid of the quadratic.

use this after you get the numbers from momentum equation of:

ƩPi=ƩPf

(you have the break down of the above correct?)Now plug into this

0=ΔKE+ΔPEg+ΔPEspring
=1/2mv2f-1/2mv2f+mghf-mghi+1/2kx2f-1/2kx2f

Now just place you values in the equation and remove things that you don't use for example the spring.

haruspex said:
Work with that some. You should find vi - v1 cancels, getting rid of the quadratic.

Alrighty, thanks. That did it. I appreciate it : D

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the total momentum and total kinetic energy before and after the collision remain the same.

How do you solve for elastic collisions?

To solve for elastic collisions, you need to use the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and velocities of the objects before and after the collision. By setting these equations equal to each other, you can solve for the unknown velocities.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved. Inelastic collisions result in a loss of kinetic energy due to the deformation of the objects involved.

What factors can affect the outcome of an elastic collision?

The masses and velocities of the objects involved are the main factors that can affect the outcome of an elastic collision. The angle and direction of the objects' velocities can also play a role in the outcome of the collision.

How is the coefficient of restitution related to elastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It is the ratio of the relative velocity of separation to the relative velocity of approach. In an elastic collision, the coefficient of restitution would be 1, indicating a perfectly elastic collision.