Elastic Collision: Find V1', V2' with M1, M2, V1, V2

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two objects colliding with given masses and velocities. The equations for potential energy and kinetic energy are used to find the final velocities of the objects after the collision. The question is raised about manipulating the equations to solve for a different set of variables. The expert summarizer concludes that it is not possible to obtain a solution with only two equations and three variables.
Ajwrighter
1. Two objects collide M1 = 1kg M2 = 3kg V1 = 2m/s V2 = -4 m/s V1' = ? V2' =?

2. PEi = PEf m1v1 + m2v2 = m1V1' + m2v2' KEi=KEf same as (1/2)(PE^2)/m

3. PEi = PEf ----> 2 - 12 = -10 ---> v2' = (-10 - v1')/3
KEi = KEf ----> 4 + 48 = 52 ----> 156 3Vi^2' + V1^2' + 20v' +100

4. V1' = - 7 V2' = -1
KEi = 2J + 24J = 26J KEf = 24.5J + 1.5J = 26J

The real Question: I tried to manipulate the problem with algebra but to no ends. So here is my question, how do you obtain V1 or V2 with (not V1' or V2') Can you obtain your numbers if let's say you have

1. Two objects collide M1 = 1kg M2 = ? V1 = ? V2 = -4 m/s V1' = -7 V2' =? What format would you use to solve this. I tride using the same equations but I can't seem to manipulate the algebra to do what I want. I keep getting either really small or really large numbers.[/

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand, you have 3 variables and two equations? Also your equations are almost unreadable.

Last edited:
I just zipped by to show that i can do it and have gotten the answer. Was wondering if there was a way to obtain an answer if the variables where miss matched . so instead of the equation asking for V1' and V2' (like stated above) it would be asking for M2, V1 and V2' =?

You can do it? Show me please!

I think it's impossible when you have only two equations for three variables. (Unless you can eliminate two variables at once somehow...)

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

2. How do you find the final velocities (V1', V2') in an elastic collision?

To find the final velocities in an elastic collision, you can use the formula V1' = ((M1 - M2) / (M1 + M2)) * V1 + ((2 * M2) / (M1 + M2)) * V2 and V2' = ((2 * M1) / (M1 + M2)) * V1 + ((M2 - M1) / (M1 + M2)) * V2, where M1 and M2 are the masses of the two objects and V1 and V2 are the initial velocities of the objects.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy and the total momentum of the system is conserved. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost and the total momentum of the system may not be conserved.

4. Can you have an elastic collision between two objects with different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between two objects with different masses. The final velocities of the objects will depend on their masses and initial velocities.

5. How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, momentum is conserved because the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the mass of the objects multiplied by their velocities will be the same before and after the collision.