Elastic Collisons (Conservation of Ke and P)

• Thread starter notagenius08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elastic
In summary, the problem involves a proton colliding with a carbon atom with a mass of 12 times that of the proton. Using equations for momentum and kinetic energy conservation, the final speeds of both particles can be solved for. The next step is to solve the quadratic equation for the final speed of the proton, and then use that to find the final speed of the carbon atom.
notagenius08

Homework Statement

A proton is traveling to the right at 2.0x10^7 m/s. It has a head on perfectly elastic collision with a carbon atom. The Mass of the Carbon atom is 12 times the mass of the proton. What are the speed and direction of each after collision?

Homework Equations

Ke=1/2M*V^2
P(momentum)=M*V

The Attempt at a Solution

p=proton
c=carbon

After the collision:

1/2MpVpf^2 + 1/2McVcf^2=1/2MpVp^2

MpVpf+McVcf=MpVp

Solved for:

Vcf=Vp-Vpf/12
Vpf=Vp-12Vcf
Vcf^2=Vp^2-Vpf^2/12
Vpf^2=Vp^2-12Vcf

I've tried a few times but can figure out how to solve the rest of the equation. Every time I make a substitution I get MpVp=MpVp.

Which I already knew, so I guess my algebra is a bit crap.(spelling too!)

What is the next step?

Thanks to anyone that helps.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll walk you through one way to solve:

You have four equations.
1) Take the first (for Vcf), square it to find Vcf^2.
2) Now plug it into the third equation instead of Vcf^2 (on the left side).
3) This result now needs to be reorganized so everything is on the right side or left (so one side is zero.
4) Note: the above result is likely a quadratic equation with the unknown "x" being Vpf.
5) Solve the quadratic equation for Vpf.
6) now plug that back into any of your original four equations to find Vcf.

why did I chose 1 and 3?

they come from different original equations (momentum conservation and energy conservation). These equations are therefore "independent" of each other. You can't chose 1 and 2, or 3 and 4 for the process... but you could have also chosen 2 and 4, or 1 and 4 or 2 and 3.

Thanks for your help.

It actually does simplify down, and so you don't have to use the quadratic equations.

Thanks again for your help!

Related to Elastic Collisons (Conservation of Ke and P)

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total energy and momentum of the system remains the same before and after the collision.

2. How is kinetic energy conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved because no energy is lost due to external forces like friction or air resistance. The objects involved in the collision may exchange kinetic energy, but the total amount of kinetic energy remains the same.

3. What is the equation for conservation of kinetic energy in an elastic collision?

The equation for conservation of kinetic energy in an elastic collision is KE1 + KE2 = KE'1 + KE'2, where KE1 and KE2 are the initial kinetic energies of the two objects and KE'1 and KE'2 are their final kinetic energies.

4. How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

Momentum is conserved in an elastic collision because the total momentum of the system remains the same before and after the collision. This means that the sum of the momenta of the objects before the collision is equal to the sum of their momenta after the collision.

5. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

The main difference between elastic and inelastic collisions is that in an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.