Elastic Potential Energy and SHM test

In summary, the problem involves a simple harmonic oscillator with a total energy of E. We need to determine the kinetic and potential energies when the displacement is one half the amplitude. To solve this, we use the energy equation and the fact that the net energy is given by \frac{kA^2}{2}. At x = A/2, the potential energy is 1/4 of the total energy and the kinetic energy is 3/4 of the total energy. For part b, we need to find where the potential energy is half the total energy. This can be solved by realizing that the total energy is equal to the kinetic energy plus the potential energy, and setting the potential energy equal to half the total energy.
PhysicsinCalifornia
Hello, I took a test on Simple Harmonic Motion today and the very last problem looked something like this:

A simple harmonic oscillator has a total energy of E. (a) Detemine the kinetic and potential energies when the displacement is one half the amplitude. (b) For what value of the displacement does the kinetic energy equal the potential energy?

I had no clue how to solve this one. I'm sure I got it wrong. Can anyone help me to start with this thing??

All I know is that I'm supposed to use the energy equation:
[tex] E_i = E_f [/tex]
[tex] KE_i + PE_i + PE_{si} = KE_f + PE_f + PE_{sf}[/tex]
[tex] KE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 [/tex]
[tex] PE = mgh [/tex]
[tex] PE_s = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

I seriously do NOT know how to do this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsinCalifornia said:
Hello, I took a test on Simple Harmonic Motion today and the very last problem looked something like this:

A simple harmonic oscillator has a total energy of E. (a) Detemine the kinetic and potential energies when the displacement is one half the amplitude. (b) For what value of the displacement does the kinetic energy equal the potential energy?

I had no clue how to solve this one. I'm sure I got it wrong. Can anyone help me to start with this thing??

All I know is that I'm supposed to use the energy equation:
[tex] E_i = E_f [/tex]
[tex] KE_i + PE_i + PE_{si} = KE_f + PE_f + PE_{sf}[/tex]
[tex] KE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 [/tex]
[tex] PE = mgh [/tex]
[tex] PE_s = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

I seriously do NOT know how to do this problem.

The usual treatment of this problem combines the gravitational and spring potential energies into one term. If you measure displacement from the equilibrium position as x, then the combined potentail energy is

[tex] PE = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

and the total energy is

[tex] PE = \frac{1}{2}kA^2[/tex]

where A is the amplitude. At x = A/2, the PE is 1/4 of the total energy, so the KE is 3/4. for part b) you need to find where the potential energy is half the total.

OlderDan said:
The usual treatment of this problem combines the gravitational and spring potential energies into one term. If you measure displacement from the equilibrium position as x, then the combined potentail energy is

and the total energy is

where A is the amplitude. At x = A/2, the PE is 1/4 of the total energy, so the KE is 3/4. for part b) you need to find where the potential energy is half the total.

I don't think I'm getting this or not, but i just replace [tex]x^2[/tex] with [tex](\frac{A}{2})^2[/tex] ?
or just directly replace [tex]x^2 \Rightarrow (\frac{A}{2})]/tex]?

OlderDan said:

and the total energy is

I don't think I'm getting this or not, but i just replace [tex]x^2[/tex] with [tex](\frac{A}{2})^2[/tex] ?
or just directly replace [tex]x^2 \Rightarrow (\frac{A}{2})[/tex]?

And if so, how can I show that the PE is 1/4 of E and KE is 3/4 E?

For simplicity the harmonic oscillator can be thought like a spring in SHM .Its the same.

The net energy for a particle in SHM is given by: [itex]\frac {kA^2}{2}[/itex]

Assuming Kinetic energy at any time t is : [itex]\frac {kx^2}{2}[/itex]

And potential energy at t is: [itex]\frac {k(A^2 - x^2)}{2}[/itex]

The above two relations can be easily though of as PE +KE = Total energy which is the case in above problems.

Dr.Brain said:

The Kinetic energy can be written like that? I thought that the kinetic energy has to do with velocity.

So I can replace that kinetic energy with that elastic potential energy equation??

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr.Brain said:

And potential energy at t is: [itex]\frac {k(A^2 - x^2)}{2}[/itex]
I think you mixed up the terms "potential" and "kinetic".

In the above equation [itex]\frac {Kx^2}{2}[/itex], Remember that "x" is not the "x" for extension length but this is some variable . Here "x" has units of v/sec .

You can replace "x" by any other variable like a,b,c,d ...but it should have units of velocity ...once you have assumed a KE using some variable , now you can deduce the PE using the fact that their sum is [itex]\frac {kA^2}{2}[/itex]

And int he Total Energy [itex]\frac {kA^2}{2}[/itex] A is the amplitude .

or just directly replace [tex]x^2 \Rightarrow (\frac{A}{2})[/tex]?
No.
The total energy of the system is given by:
[tex] E = \frac{1}{2}kA^2[/tex]

At any position x from equilibrium, the potential energy is given by:
[tex] \mbox{PE} = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

And if so, how can I show that the PE is 1/4 of E and KE is 3/4 E?
To find the KE at any point, realize that [tex]E = PE + KE[/tex]

Doc Al said:
No.
The total energy of the system is given by:
[tex] E = \frac{1}{2}kA^2[/tex]

At any position x from equilibrium, the potential energy is given by:
[tex] \mbox{PE} = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

To find the KE at any point, realize that [tex]E = PE + KE[/tex]

Since the problem is one half the amplitude, I thought the x would be simply replaced with A/2

Can you explain the concept of doing this?

Also, I realized that E = KE + PE, but in this case, the PE would be the elastic potential? [tex] PE_s = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

Since the problem is one half the amplitude, I thought the x would be simply replaced with A/2

Can you explain the concept of doing this?

Also, I realized that E = KE + PE, but in this case, the PE would be the elastic potential? [tex] PE_s = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]
For part a, everything you say is correct. To find the PE, just plug in the displacement from equilibrium: x = A/2. (If you were saying this all along, I apologize if I misled you by saying "No". I responded to post #3, when I should have responded to #4.)

Now figure out what the PE equals in terms of E. (Hint: Write both E and PE in terms of A and compare.)

FAQ: Elastic Potential Energy and SHM test

1. What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is the potential energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. This type of energy is a result of an object's elastic properties, such as its ability to return to its original shape after being deformed.

2. How is elastic potential energy related to simple harmonic motion (SHM)?

Elastic potential energy and SHM are closely related as SHM occurs when an object is oscillating back and forth between two points due to the restoring force of the object's elastic potential energy. This means that as the object moves towards its equilibrium position, its elastic potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, and as it moves away from its equilibrium position, the kinetic energy is converted back into elastic potential energy.

3. What factors affect the amount of elastic potential energy in a system?

The amount of elastic potential energy in a system is affected by two main factors: the stiffness of the object (defined by its spring constant) and the amount of displacement from the equilibrium position. A stiffer object or a larger displacement will result in a higher amount of elastic potential energy stored in the system.

4. How is elastic potential energy calculated?

The formula for elastic potential energy is E = 1/2 * k * x^2, where E is the elastic potential energy in Joules, k is the spring constant in Newtons per meter, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position in meters. This formula is derived from Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from equilibrium.

5. How is elastic potential energy and SHM tested in a laboratory setting?

In a laboratory setting, elastic potential energy and SHM can be tested by using a mass attached to a spring and measuring the displacement and resulting oscillations of the mass. This data can then be used to calculate the spring constant and elastic potential energy of the system. Other methods include using a pendulum or a vibrating string to demonstrate SHM and the conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy.

Back