Elastic Collision of Identical Spheres

• Thread starter proticks97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, in a perfectly elastic glancing collision between two identical steel spheres, the velocities of the spheres after the collision in the direction perpendicular to the incoming direction will be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. The sum of the velocity vectors of the two spheres in the original direction of the incoming sphere after the collision will be equal to that of the incoming sphere. Kinetic energy and linear momentum will both be conserved in this collision.
proticks97

Homework Statement

In a glancing collision between two identical steel spheres, which of the following statements are correct? (Assume this collision is perfectly elastic. Select all that apply.)
1)The velocities of the spheres after the collision in the direction perpendicular to the incoming direction will be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.
2)The sum of the velocity vectors of the two spheres in the original direction of the incoming sphere after the collision will be equal to that of the incoming sphere.
3)Kinetic energy in this collision will be conserved.
4)Linear momentum will be conserved in this collision

The Attempt at a Solution

I got that 3 and 4 are correct but not sure if 1 and 2 are

Physics news on Phys.org
Heelo Pro, welcome to PF :smile: !

You already picked 3 and 4. When you look at the momentum in the direction perpendicular to the incoming direction before the collision, and take 4 into account, what will it be after the collision ? So what does that say about the velocities after the collision in the direction perpendicular to the incoming direction ?
I don't understand 2 at all. If there are 2 phsres coming in, how can they talk about only 1 afterwards ? Can you think of a wasy to let this follow from 3 and/or 4 ? If not, then it's a fake answer.

Related to Elastic Collision of Identical Spheres

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which no kinetic energy is lost. This means that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved.

What is the formula for calculating the velocity of objects after an elastic collision?

The formula for calculating the velocity of objects after an elastic collision is v1f = (m1-m2)/(m1+m2) * v1i + (2m2)/(m1+m2) * v2i, and v2f = (2m1)/(m1+m2) * v1i + (m2-m1)/(m1+m2) * v2i, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, v1i and v2i are the initial velocities, and v1f and v2f are the final velocities.

Can an elastic collision occur between two objects with different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between two objects with different masses. The final velocities of the two objects will depend on the masses and initial velocities of the objects.

What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of elastic collisions include a game of billiards, a game of pool, and a game of ping pong. In these games, the balls collide and bounce off each other without losing any kinetic energy.