Elec Eng AC 3 Phase Symmetrical Components Q - Phase to Fault question

A, the positive, negative, and zero sequence currents will all be 1/3 of the phase A current (800A). This is because in this scenario, phase B and phase C have no current due to the earth fault in phase A. Therefore, Ia = 800A and I0, I1, I2 = 267A.
CasterSkux
Hello again,

I've got another question that involves symmetrical components, this time I've attempted it.

The Question follows:

1. In a 3 phase circuit with resistance earthed and neutral and Earth fault in phase “A” which produces a fault current of 800 amps.

Load currents may be taken as zero.

What will be the positive, negative and zero sequence currents in this system?

Answer

I have Ia = 800 for Phase A, Ib = 0 and Ic = 0 and I assume this is a Phase-to-earth fault

According to this source https://www.selinc.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=100688, when Phase B and Phase C is zero (as suggested by "Load currents may be taken as zero"): the zero,
positive and negative sequence are all 1/3Ia. It also says that when an phase to Earth fault happens in Phase A: Phase B and Phase C can be assumed to have no current anyway.

Therefore Ia = 800A and I0, I1, I2 = 267A. Is my answer and thought process right?

Cheers:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's correct

1. What is meant by "symmetrical components" in AC 3 phase systems?

"Symmetrical components" refers to a method used to analyze and solve problems in AC 3 phase systems by breaking down the system into three balanced and symmetrical sets of components: positive, negative, and zero sequence.

2. How is the Q - Phase to Fault question related to AC 3 phase symmetrical components?

The Q - Phase to Fault question is a common problem in AC 3 phase systems that can be solved using the symmetrical components method. It involves calculating the sequence currents and voltages for a given fault in the system.

3. What is the purpose of converting from the ABC phase system to the symmetrical components system?

Converting from the ABC phase system to the symmetrical components system allows for easier analysis and solution of problems in AC 3 phase systems. It simplifies the calculations and makes it easier to determine the effects of faults or imbalances in the system.

4. How does the positive sequence in symmetrical components differ from the other two sequences?

The positive sequence in symmetrical components is the only sequence that remains unchanged when a fault or imbalance occurs in the system. It represents the balanced and normal operation of the system and is used as a reference for the other two sequences.

5. Can the symmetrical components method be applied to non-symmetrical systems?

No, the symmetrical components method is only applicable to balanced and symmetrical AC 3 phase systems. If the system is unbalanced or contains harmonics, this method cannot be used and other techniques must be employed.