Electric charge placed at a point

In summary, electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that can be either positive or negative and is measured in coulombs. A point charge is a hypothetical object with a finite amount of electric charge concentrated at a single point. Electric charge can be placed at a point by physically bringing a charged object or using an electric field. Electric charge and electric field are closely related, with the strength of the field determined by the amount of charge and distance from the object. Placing an electric charge at a point can have various effects, including interactions with other charges or objects and creating an electric field that can influence the movement of other charges.
hoseA
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/358/electricforce8yv.png

I know how to do the first question. The second question is what's troubling me. I don't know where the forces are supposed to be directed (i.e. to which charge)... basically i don't understand what I'm finding out.

Any incite appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a very simple relation that tells you the force acting on a charge placed in an electric field. What is it ?

What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience electromagnetic interactions. It can be either positive or negative, and is measured in coulombs.

What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical object that has a finite amount of electric charge concentrated at a single point. It is often used in theoretical models to simplify calculations.

How is electric charge placed at a point?

Electric charge can be placed at a point by physically bringing a charged object to that point, or by using an electric field to induce a charge on an otherwise neutral object at that point.

What is the relationship between electric charge and electric field?

Electric charge and electric field are intimately related. A charged object creates an electric field around it, and the strength of this field is determined by the amount of charge and the distance from the object. Similarly, an electric field can induce a charge on an object in its vicinity.

What are the effects of placing an electric charge at a point?

Placing an electric charge at a point can have various effects depending on the surrounding environment. The charge can interact with other charges or objects in the vicinity, and can also create an electric field that can influence the movement of other charges.