Electric circuit and capacitance

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of current in parallel plate capacitors when introduced in a circuit. The participants consider the flow of charges and the storage of charges in relation to current passing through the capacitor. They also mention the difference between DC and AC excitation voltages and how it affects the current leakage and impedance of the capacitor. The conversation highlights the importance of the quality of the insulating material between the plates in determining the flow of current.
oreo
Does current pass when parallel plate capacitors are introduced in circuit?

Physics news on Phys.org
shayan haider said:
Does current pass when parallel plate capacitors are introduced in circuit?

What are your thoughts? How does a capacitor behave for DC and AC voltages?

I think so that as the current is flow of charges but in this case the charges are being stored therefore current should not pass? Correct me if I am wrong.

shayan haider said:
I think so that as the current is flow of charges but in this case the charges are being stored therefore current should not pass? Correct me if I am wrong.

The key is in my hint about AC versus DC excitation voltages. What sources have you been using for reading/learning about capacitors and electronics? What do they say about your question?

berkeman said:
The key is in my hint about AC versus DC excitation voltages. What sources have you been using for reading/learning about capacitors and electronics? What do they say about your question?
It says that if the insulator between plates is perfect insulating material then no current passes and vice versa. If the source is DC, the current leakage would be low but if it is AC then there would be current displacement.

Correct. So how does the impedance of a capacitor vary with AC frequency?

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a path or loop through which electric current can flow, typically consisting of a power source, conductors, and loads. It allows for the transfer of electrical energy to power devices and perform tasks.

2. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in farads and is dependent on the geometry and material of the conductors and insulators in a circuit.

3. How does capacitance affect an electric circuit?

Capacitance can affect an electric circuit in several ways. It can act as a temporary energy storage device, smoothing out fluctuations in current and voltage. It can also introduce a time delay in the flow of current, which can be useful in certain applications like filters and time-based circuits.

4. What are the different types of capacitors?

There are several types of capacitors, including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and variable capacitors. Each type has its own unique properties and applications. For example, ceramic capacitors are small and inexpensive, while electrolytic capacitors have a higher capacitance but are more prone to failure.

5. How can capacitance be increased in a circuit?

Capacitance can be increased in a circuit by adding more capacitors in parallel or by using capacitors with a larger surface area or thinner dielectric material. Additionally, increasing the distance between the conductors in a capacitor can also increase its capacitance.