1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Circuit Help (Emf and Internal Resistance)

1. Nov 22, 2007 #1
    1. Find the current in, and the potential difference across, each resistor in the circuit shown below:

The circuit is a simple parallel circuit with 2.0 ohms at the first resistor, 10.0 ohms at the second, and 20.0 ohms at the third

The problem also gives you Emf which is 12.0 V and the internal resistance "r" which is 0 ohms

2. Voltage = Current*Resistance
    Possibly: Voltage = Emf - Current*Resistance
    Req (total resistance) = [(1/Resistance 1) + (1/Resistance 2) + (1/Resistance 3)]-1

3. I would attempt the problem but I've tried so many times and I'm just lost. I was absent the day this question was answered in class.

I thought you were supposed to find the Req first then use the voltage given to find the current in the system, but thats not helping me at all. I don't understand Emf or internal resistance so I'm not sure of its purpose.

I hope this helps. I'm on a laptop so I can't scan any images at all.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

In parallel circuits the voltage through each branch is the same. Use Ohm's Law to find the current.
  4. Nov 23, 2007 #3
    I don't believe that's correct.

[tex]R_{eq}=\frac{R_1 R_2 R_3}{R_1 R_2 + R_1 R_3 + R_2 R_3}[/tex]

This isn't really needed to find the current through each resistor.

Ohm's law, applied in this case:

[tex]V = I_1 R_1 = I_2 R_2 = I_3 R_3[/tex]

You can use [tex]R_{eq}[/tex] to see if you got it right...

[tex]V=I R_{eq}[/tex]
    [tex]I=\frac{V}{R_{eq}}=V\frac{R_1 R_2 + R_1 R_3 + R_2 R_3}{R_1 R_2 R_3}[/tex]

[tex]I = I_1 + I_2 + I_3[/tex]
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?