(Electric) Circuit simulation software for blood flow model

In summary, the speaker is working on a brain blood flow simulation and is looking for an electric circuit program that can perform the necessary calculations. They have drawn a circuit using EAGLE and are seeking suggestions for how to approach the problem. They mention the possibility of using operational amplifiers for analog computing.
kanda
Hey guys!

I am working on a simulation of a brain blood flow model. Instead of programming something on my own, I wanted to check first whether there are any electric circuit programs that could do the job. I am using the flow-circuit/electric circuit analogy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_analogy
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/watcir2.html

I have drawn the required circuit using EAGLE (see attachment and imagine a connection between the large artery on top and the large vein on the bottom with a battery/heart=pump in between).

I am now wondering whether there is any electric circuit simulation program (or even water flow program) out there that is able to do the following calculation:

Input (given):
- initial (artery) and final (vein) potential (pressure)
- given or better in GUI changeable constant resistances in the wires between wires (there is meant to be one resistor in each wire that connects two nodes, not drawn in the attached picture)

Output (asked to calculate and display):
- currents (flows) in wires
- potentials (pressures) at all nodes.

I hope this is the right part of the forum for such kind of questions. Thanks for your suggestions!

kanda

Attachments

• drawing 8.pdf
    13.1 KB · Views: 287
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure, it is just an ordinary netowork problem. The way to start is to write the differential equations that describe the system. Then find the electrical equivalent. Or you can build the analog with operational amplifiers. We use to call that analog computing.

But first things first, can you write the equations?

1. What is (Electric) Circuit simulation software for blood flow model?

(Electric) Circuit simulation software for blood flow model is a computer program that uses mathematical equations and algorithms to simulate the behavior of blood flow in the human body. This software is often used by scientists and researchers to study the effects of different conditions and treatments on blood flow.

2. How does (Electric) Circuit simulation software for blood flow model work?

The software works by dividing the blood flow model into smaller components, such as blood vessels and organs, and creating a circuit-like representation of the flow. The software then uses mathematical equations to simulate the flow of blood through these components, taking into account factors such as pressure, flow rate, and resistance.

3. What are the benefits of using (Electric) Circuit simulation software for blood flow model?

One of the main benefits of using this software is that it allows for a detailed and accurate analysis of blood flow in different scenarios. This can help researchers understand the underlying mechanisms of diseases and develop more effective treatments. Additionally, using simulation software can reduce the need for animal or human testing, making it a more ethical and cost-effective approach.

4. What types of blood flow models can be simulated using this software?

This software is versatile and can simulate a wide range of blood flow models, including arterial, venous, and microcirculatory systems. It can also be used to study specific organs, such as the heart or brain, as well as the effects of different conditions, such as hypertension or atherosclerosis.

5. What are some commonly used (Electric) Circuit simulation software for blood flow model?

Some popular (Electric) Circuit simulation software for blood flow model include ANSYS Fluent, COMSOL Multiphysics, and SimVascular. These software programs offer a variety of features and capabilities, allowing researchers to choose the one that best fits their needs and research goals.