1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field at a point on a contour line

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1
    Hi guys!

In this question I am asked to "Calculate the size of the electric field at k". See image at: http://capa-new.colorado.edu/msuphysicslib/Graphics/Gtype54/prob04a_threeqcontour.gif

Note: although the picture states "Volts", everything is actually measured in kV.

2. Relevant equations
    ∆V = Ed

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to set V = -5kV, and solving for E by measuring the distance from point k to Q1, but this doesn't seem to work. Will I have to do this for all three charges? Or, am I totally off base and should be approaching it from a different angle?

Thanks for your help!

-Max

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2009 #2

AEM

As I figure it the difference between each contour line is 1 KV. Since

[tex] E = -\frac{\Delta V}{d} [/tex]

you want to measure the perpendicular distance from k to the nearest contour line and express E as so many volts per meter (or what ever distance unit you desire). Note the minus sign in my equation. That implies something about the direction of E.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook