1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field at Point Z, Two Charges

1. May 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have drawn the diagram on the attached page... IT contains all information. The question is simply to determine the electric field force at point Z (which is at the very upper edge of the page)

2. Relevant equations

epsilon= Fe/q

3. The attempt at a solution

scan0001.jpg

I just noticed I forgot to square root the radius (rAZ and rBZ) in the top right corner.. that changes my answer, but not to the right answer.... Now I get 1.44*10^5 . Correct answer is 1.21*10^5

What's wrong :S

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2009 #2
    I think it should be sin(90 - theta), not sin(theta)

4. May 26, 2009 #3
    woah... woah... why? tan(theta)=.04/.03 ... that's unarguable... that gives my radius...

And in the Y-component part, we are taught to use sin(theta) for Y-components, where theta is the angle from the positive x-axis.

5. May 26, 2009 #4
    Sorry, I confused sin with cos :S

Edit2: I keep getting 1.15 * 10^5

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  6. May 26, 2009 #5
    Figured it out... I dropped the sin(53.13) when I multiplied by 2... but to answer your question, sin(180-theta)=sin(theta)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook