Electric Field at Point Z, Two Charges

In summary, the question is to determine the electric field force at point Z using the given diagram and equation. The initial attempt at a solution did not include the square root of the radius, resulting in an incorrect answer. The mistake was corrected, but another error was made in the Y-component calculation due to confusion between sin and cos. The correct answer is 1.21*10^5, found by using the correct formula for sin(180-theta).
mike_302

Homework Statement

I have drawn the diagram on the attached page... IT contains all information. The question is simply to determine the electric field force at point Z (which is at the very upper edge of the page)

Homework Equations

epsilon= Fe/q

The Attempt at a Solution

scan0001.jpg

I just noticed I forgot to square root the radius (rAZ and rBZ) in the top right corner.. that changes my answer, but not to the right answer... Now I get 1.44*10^5 . Correct answer is 1.21*10^5

What's wrong :S

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it should be sin(90 - theta), not sin(theta)

woah... woah... why? tan(theta)=.04/.03 ... that's unarguable... that gives my radius...

And in the Y-component part, we are taught to use sin(theta) for Y-components, where theta is the angle from the positive x-axis.

Sorry, I confused sin with cos :S

Edit2: I keep getting 1.15 * 10^5

Last edited:
Figured it out... I dropped the sin(53.13) when I multiplied by 2... but to answer your question, sin(180-theta)=sin(theta)

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region around a charged particle where another charged particle will experience a force. This force is caused by the interaction between the electric charges and is represented by electric field lines.

2. How is the electric field at point Z calculated?

The electric field at point Z is calculated by adding the individual electric fields created by each charge at that point. The equation for electric field due to a point charge is E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance between the particle and the point.

3. What if the two charges at point Z have opposite signs?

If the two charges at point Z have opposite signs, the electric fields created by each charge will point in opposite directions. This means that the net electric field at point Z will be the difference between the two individual fields, resulting in a smaller magnitude or a change in direction.

4. Can the electric field at point Z be negative?

Yes, the electric field at point Z can be negative. This would occur if the two charges at point Z have the same sign, causing the individual electric fields to cancel out or if one of the individual electric fields is larger in magnitude than the other, resulting in a net electric field in the opposite direction.

5. What is the unit of electric field?

The unit of electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system of units. This means that for every coulomb of charge, there is a force of one newton acting on it in the direction of the electric field.