Electric field betwen laterally displaced parallel plates

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving the calculation of nonuniform electric fields between two parallel plates with slight displacement. The focus was on calculating the lateral electric force and potential solutions, such as numerical simulations and the assumption of two-dimensional space. It was noted that the asymmetry of the plate arrangement makes an analytical solution difficult, and the use of conformal mapping may not be applicable.
irstudent
I am struggling with a problem which involves the calculation of the nonuniform electric field fields between two identical parallel plates in which one of the plates is slightly displaced in lateral direction with respect to the other plate (i.e. they do not overlap perfectly). The gap between the overlapping parts of the plates is much smaller than the plate dimensions.

In particular, I am interested in calculating the lateral electric force acting on the displaced plate. I presume that this force is mainly generated from the change in the fringe fields between the edges of the plates.

I have searched the literature for papers which cover this special case of a parallel plate capacitor, however, I have found nothing so far. Why is that so? Is it because the asymmetry of the plate arrangement renders an analytical solution impossible or very cumbersome? Can anyone help me by directing me to published work or by providing me with the general (analytical) approach in attacking this problem?

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would be surprised if there is an exact analytic solution. You have to take into account that the plates have a finite width, edges and so on. I think numerical simulations can give you some formula to approximate the forces.

I was wondering if the problem becomes analytically solvable if it becomes two-dimensional by assuming that both plates extend into infinity in the direction perpendicular to the drawing plane.

I already used this assumption to look at the system ;). It should be fine with most interesting setups.

mfb said:
I already used this assumption to look at the system ;). It should be fine with most interesting setups.

thanks for your thoughts. Even in the two-dimensional case, the fact that the problem space cannot be confined to a region of which the boundary conditions are given either by specification or by symmetry considerations, makes this problem analytically impossible to solve. I guess, that's why the use of conformal mapping may stand no chance in solving this problem, because it requires symmetry in the plate configuration.

What is an electric field between laterally displaced parallel plates?

An electric field between laterally displaced parallel plates refers to the force per unit charge that exists between two parallel plates that are separated by a distance and have an electrical potential difference between them.

How is the electric field between laterally displaced parallel plates calculated?

The electric field between laterally displaced parallel plates can be calculated by dividing the electrical potential difference between the plates by the distance between them. This can be represented by the equation E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the potential difference, and d is the distance between the plates.

What factors affect the electric field between laterally displaced parallel plates?

The electric field between laterally displaced parallel plates is affected by the potential difference between the plates, the distance between them, and the material of the plates. The electric field is also affected by any charges present on the plates and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates.

What are some applications of the electric field between laterally displaced parallel plates?

The electric field between laterally displaced parallel plates has many practical applications, including in capacitors, particle accelerators, and deflection plates in cathode ray tubes. It is also used in various laboratory experiments and demonstrations to study the behavior of electric fields.

How is the electric field between laterally displaced parallel plates related to the concept of electric potential?

The electric field between laterally displaced parallel plates is directly related to the concept of electric potential. Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a particular point in an electric field. The electric field between the plates determines the electric potential difference between them, as well as the direction and magnitude of the electric force on a charged particle placed between the plates.