What is the Electric Field Inside and Outside of a Sphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses a confusion with the concept of electric field inside and outside of a sphere with radius R. Problem 2.8 and 2.15 deal with spheres and there is a discrepancy between the two regarding the electric field. The issue is clarified that zero total charge enclosed in a Gaussian surface does not necessarily mean zero field, but rather zero net flux through the surface.
cooper607
hi guys, i have been following griffith's book on electrodynamics and i m stuck with probably one of the basic concepts on electric field. i did not understand what would be the electric field, 1) inside and 2)outside of a sphere with radius R ?

also there are two problems which deals with spheres, the first one be prob 2.8 says there should be some electric field inside but prob 2.15 says the total enclosed charge inside is zero, hence field zero. maybe i m not so clear on the idea of electric field, but on which context we can say the inside charge is zero or not.
someone please make me clear on this.
regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Compare problem 2.8 with 2.15 - either there is a different method being used or there is some other important difference.

Note: zero total charge enclosed in a Gaussian surface does not mean zero field - it means there is net zero flux going through the surface. i.e. as many flux lines leave as enter.

What is the formula for the electric field of a sphere?

The formula for the electric field of a sphere is E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point where the electric field is being measured.

How does the electric field of a sphere vary with distance from the center?

The electric field of a sphere varies inversely with the square of the distance from the center. This means that as the distance from the center increases, the electric field decreases.

Can the electric field of a sphere be negative?

Yes, the electric field of a sphere can be negative. This occurs when the charge of the sphere is negative, resulting in an inward electric field towards the center of the sphere.

What is the direction of the electric field of a sphere?

The direction of the electric field of a sphere is always radial, meaning it points directly away from or towards the center of the sphere, depending on the charge of the sphere.

How does the electric field of a conducting sphere differ from that of a non-conducting sphere?

The electric field of a conducting sphere is always zero inside the sphere, while the electric field of a non-conducting sphere is only zero at the center. Additionally, the electric field of a conducting sphere is always perpendicular to the surface of the sphere, while the electric field of a non-conducting sphere can have a component parallel to the surface.