Electric field points with 3 charges

In summary, the problem involves calculating the electric field at a point 2.18 cm to the left of the middle charge in a system of 3 charges on a horizontal line. The Coulomb Constant and acceleration due to gravity are given. Using the equations for electric field and converting all units to C and meters, the individual electric fields from each charge are calculated and added together. The resulting electric fields are negative for the charges on the left and positive for the charge on the right, with the direction depending on the chosen convention.
rinarez7

Homework Statement

Consider 3 charges along a horizontal line as shown:
8.72e-6 C (+) ___4.16cm____2.45e-6 C (+)______3.18cm_____-1.46e-6C (-)
The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2
The Coulomb Constant is 8.98755e 9 Nm^2/ C^2
What is the electric field at a point 2.18 cm to the left of the middle charge? Answer in units fo N/C

Homework Equations

Q1= 8.72e-6 C , r= .0198m (.0416m-.0218m)
Q2= 2.45e-6 C, r= .0218m

E1= k Q1 / r^2
E2= k Q2/ r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted all of my units first to C and meters.
Then I solved for E1 and E2 separately.
Once I had E1 and E2, I added the two together. But I can't seem to get the right answer.
Am I supposed to subtract them instead becasue Q1 and Q2 are both positive and therefore will repel each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
don't you have 3 charges?

draw a picture & look at the relative directions of the field form each charge to decide whether to add or subtract

Last edited:
so I calculated E1 = 1.999e8, E2 as 4.633e5, and E3 as -3.657e6
Am I correct to say then that, E1 and E3 are negative (pointing to the left) and E2 is positive?
E1(+)<----X----->E2 (+)-----><------E3 (-)

sounds good, though unless its already given, you can define positive or negative anyway you like - you should specify this direction with your answer

Thank you!

1. What is an electric field and how is it affected by 3 charges?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric charge experiences a force. It is affected by 3 charges by the principle of superposition, where the total electric field at a point is the sum of the individual electric fields produced by each charge.

2. How do I calculate the direction and magnitude of the electric field at a point with 3 charges?

To calculate the electric field at a point with 3 charges, you can use the equation: E = kq/r², where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the point. To determine the direction, you can use the principle of superposition and vector addition to find the net direction of the electric field.

3. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential at a point with 3 charges?

An electric field is a force per unit charge, while an electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge. The electric field is a vector quantity, while the electric potential is a scalar quantity. While the electric field shows the direction and strength of the force, the electric potential shows the potential energy of the charge at that point.

4. Can the electric field at a point with 3 charges be negative?

Yes, the electric field at a point with 3 charges can be negative. This indicates that the electric field is directed in the opposite direction of the positive direction, and thus the force on a positive charge would be in the opposite direction.

5. How does the distance between the 3 charges affect the electric field at a point?

The distance between the 3 charges affects the electric field at a point by following the inverse square law. As the distance increases, the electric field decreases, and vice versa. This means that the closer the charges are to each other, the stronger the electric field will be at a point, and vice versa.