Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric fields are not always superposable

1. May 25, 2006 #1
    "Electric fields are not always superposable"

In my Physics text book by Resnick, Halliday and Krane (Wiley publications), it is mentioned that (pg. 575),
    " the principle of superposition of electric fields is not at all obvious and may fail in the case of very strong electric forces.":surprised
    Can someone please elaborate on this point.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2006 #2
    I don't really know what you are talking about. Could you provide some more info. I must have a different Resnick, Halliday and Krane version (i have got the 5th extended edition)

4. Jun 4, 2006 #3
    Thank you

I have the Resnick,Halliday and Krane. Fifth Edition (Eastern economy edition). The name is Fundamentals of Physics.(Vol 2)
    The statement is given in chapter 25 and chapter 26.
    The book does not provide any more information. After the statement, it simply states that the principle of superposition is valid for all situations described in the book.

I have also asked my teacher. He says it might be due to ionization of air in strong electric fields, but i don't find his explanation satisfactory (for, if it was such a simple reason, the text would mention it.)
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?