1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Work in a uniform electric field

1. Jun 27, 2018 #1
    I need a little help here
    when calculating the work done in a uniform electric field on a positive charge to move it from point a at higher potential to point b at lower potential that means the charge is going towards the negative plate we first use V = - ED and then we have a negative V then we use W = qv and we have a negative work that means the work is done by the system not external force and that's what happened because a positive charge in a electric field will always go towards the negative plate is everything I did here correct? Because in my textbook the formula for work is W= - qv and it's confusing me please help my exam is tomorrow :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2018 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

The first step is to think about the situation physically and figure out which way energy is going. Since you have a positive charge going from a high potential to a low potential this is energy going from the field to the charge. So if W is positive the W is the work done by the field on the charge, and if W is negative then it is the work done by the charge on the field.

Importantly, not everything labeled W means the same thing.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted