Work in a uniform electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done on a positive charge in a uniform electric field. The formula for work is W = -qv and it is important to consider the direction of energy flow. In this case, the work is being done by the field on the charge. It is important to distinguish between different definitions of W.
malek2771999
I need a little help here
when calculating the work done in a uniform electric field on a positive charge to move it from point a at higher potential to point b at lower potential that means the charge is going towards the negative plate we first use V = - ED and then we have a negative V then we use W = qv and we have a negative work that means the work is done by the system not external force and that's what happened because a positive charge in a electric field will always go towards the negative plate is everything I did here correct? Because in my textbook the formula for work is W= - qv and it's confusing me please help my exam is tomorrow :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step is to think about the situation physically and figure out which way energy is going. Since you have a positive charge going from a high potential to a low potential this is energy going from the field to the charge. So if W is positive the W is the work done by the field on the charge, and if W is negative then it is the work done by the charge on the field.

Importantly, not everything labeled W means the same thing.

Likes malek2771999

1. What is a uniform electric field?

A uniform electric field is a type of electric field where the strength and direction do not change in a given region of space. This means that at any point in the field, the electric field strength and direction will be the same.

2. How is a uniform electric field created?

A uniform electric field is typically created by placing two parallel plates with opposite charges in close proximity to each other. The electric field lines between the plates will be parallel and of equal strength, creating a uniform electric field.

3. What is the effect of a uniform electric field on a charged particle?

A charged particle placed in a uniform electric field will experience a force in the direction of the electric field lines. The magnitude of the force will depend on the charge of the particle and the strength of the electric field.

4. How can the strength of a uniform electric field be measured?

The strength of a uniform electric field can be measured by using a device called an electric field meter. This meter measures the electric field strength in units of volts per meter (V/m).

5. What are some real-world applications of a uniform electric field?

A uniform electric field has many practical applications, such as in the operation of electronic devices, particle accelerators, and in medical imaging techniques like MRI machines. It is also used in the electrostatic spray painting process and in air purifiers.