1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Flux

1. Apr 24, 2012 #1
    I have attached a file with my question.
    From what i see the flux for both surfaces will be 0.
    I am unsure and need a little of explaining

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

When you post a schoolwork question here on the PF, you are provided a Homework Help Template to fill out. Please get in the habit of doing that, instead of just deleting the Template. One reason is that the Template asks for you to list the Relevant Equations that apply to your question. Do you see how Gauss' Law could apply to your question?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss_law

4. Apr 24, 2012 #3
    well I have never learnt any relevant equations this is more a logic question I think. Like this is calc 3 so its just touching on this topic

5. Apr 24, 2012 #4

sharks

Gold Member

Hint: Electric flux is proportional to the number of electric field lines going through a virtual surface.

6. Apr 24, 2012 #5
    I need more than a hint since I am attending online school and i have to teach all the material to myself. So I basically learn the concepts through examples. For some reason I cant grasp this concept and need som explaining. I have not attended classes so hints are of no use to me

7. Apr 24, 2012 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I pointed you to the relevant equations. Please read the wikipedia page that I linked to -- it should start to answer your questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook