Electric Force charge magnitude

In summary, the magnitude of the second charge can be calculated using the formula F = k(q1)(q2)/r^2, where F is the force between the two charges, k is the Coulomb's constant, r is the distance between the charges, and q1 and q2 are the charges. By rearranging the formula, we can solve for q2 and get the value of 25nC. This is a common unit for charge and the calculation appears to be correct.
Octoshark

Homework Statement

A 1.0-C charge is 15 m from a second charge, and the force between them is 1.0 N.
What is the magnitude of the second charge?

Homework Equations

F = k(q1)(q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

F = k(q1)(q2)/r^2 need to solve for q2 so...

F(r^2)/k(q1) = q2

1N(225m)/(9x10^9)(1C) = 25nC

That is correct, right? I just wasn't sure because this is on my sample exam, but we never used nano numbers during class so I wanted to double check.

Physics news on Phys.org
Octoshark said:

Homework Statement

A 1.0-C charge is 15 m from a second charge, and the force between them is 1.0 N.
What is the magnitude of the second charge?

Homework Equations

F = k(q1)(q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

F = k(q1)(q2)/r^2 need to solve for q2 so...

F(r^2)/k(q1) = q2

1N(225m)/(9x10^9)(1C) = 25nC

That is correct, right? I just wasn't sure because this is on my sample exam, but we never used nano numbers during class so I wanted to double check.
though i didn't actually calculate it, your setup looks right. nC is a common measure of charge.

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the interaction between electrically charged particles. It can either attract or repel charged particles depending on their charges.

2. What is the magnitude of electric force?

The magnitude of electric force is determined by the charges of the particles involved and their distance from each other. It follows the inverse square law, meaning that as the distance between charges increases, the force decreases.

3. How is the magnitude of electric force calculated?

The magnitude of electric force can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. How is the magnitude of electric force affected by the medium?

The magnitude of electric force is affected by the medium in which the charged particles are located. In a vacuum, the force is solely determined by the charges and distance, but in a medium such as air or water, the force may be reduced due to the presence of other charged particles.

5. Can the magnitude of electric force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of electric force can be negative. This occurs when the charges of the particles involved are opposite in sign, resulting in an attractive force. However, the magnitude of the force is always positive, as it is a measure of the strength of the force, regardless of its direction.