Electric Impact Work for 300lb Lever Arm? Nut-Busting Explained

• Thread starter kevindeschamp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, an electric impact with a torque of 780 ft-lbs will be sufficient to lift a load of 260 lbs with a 3 ft lever arm.
kevindeschamp
I need to lift 300 pounds with a lever arm 3 ft long. So, I need 900 ft-lbs. A electric impact has 1100 ft-lb of nut-busting torque. Will this electric impact work? What does nut-busting mean?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The longer the lever arm the less force needed. (move the Earth with a long enough lever)
Not sure how this is laid out, using a fulcrum and its location etc.

To lift 300 lb load with a 3 ft lever arm would take 100 lb of force.
A 300 ft lever would take 1 lb of force
Ever put a "cheater bar" on a wrench?

How is this laid out?

kevindeschamp said:
I need to lift 300 pounds with a lever arm 3 ft long. So, I need 900 ft-lbs. A electric impact has 1100 ft-lb of nut-busting torque. Will this electric impact work? What does nut-busting mean?

You could also use a system of pulleys or gears to give you a mechanical advantage...

kevindeschamp said:
"Nut busting" is a marketing term not a scientific one,. It is a double entendre.
The straight man marketer's meaning is the tool will break loose a nut that's rusted in place, or is so tight and located such that you simply can't get a tight enough grip on the whole assembly to keep it from turning when you apply torque. Example of latter is the nut on an automobile alternator pulley... the whole shaft just spins.
The wise guy marketer's second meaning involves a pun, search on 'scrotal hernia' .

The impact wrench applies torque in short impulses so that the inertia of the assembly keeps it from rotating, rather like striking the end of a regular wrench with a hammer.
So - that 1100 ft-lb number is not the constant torque you'll need for lifting.
Nobody could hold a hand tool producing that much constant torque.

How far and how fast do you need to lift that 300 lbs?
image_22163.jpg

around twenty five bucks

Last edited:
kevindeschamp said:
A electric impact has 1100 ft-lb of nut-busting torque. Will this electric impact work? What does nut-busting mean?
An impact wrench produces a torque impulse like a hammer does in a straight line. The impact is for a very short period of time. Each impact is capable of breaking the friction between the nut and the thread. Once started the nut spins off rapidly with very little force or impact being required. “Nut busting” is an advertising term that describes the force available to start the nut moving. An impact wrench can turn backwards in the time between impacts, so it won't work to turn a long lever arm.

Please see attached layout.
IMG_2008.JPG

How are you going to hold the impact driver once the load starts to rise. There will be 900 ft.lbs on the handle continuously.
Maybe you need to use a gearbox mounted on a solid base, a boat winch or a chain block. Some small lifting arms for vehicles use a hydraulic ram.
How often will you need to lift it? Why?

I drew a more detailed sketch of device.

Attachments

• IMG_2025.JPG
    IMG_2025.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 1,000
Unfortunately your design will probably not work for a number of reasons.

(A). The torque / time characteristics of a cordless impact driver will not provide a sustained torque of 3 ft * 300 lbs = 900 ft.lbs.
(B). The impact driver mounting will be torn off the table by the continuous 900 ft.lbs, with or without the added impact.
(C). The device overhangs the edge of the table, the table will probably overturn.

There are many different solutions available. Choice of the best method will depend on why you really need to do this?

Nice thanks for the input. Would a electric impact cordlessdriver lift 260 lbs with a 3 ft lever arm? The maximum torque of the electric impact cordless driver is 780 ft lbs.

kevindeschamp said:
Would a electric impact cordlessdriver lift 260 lbs with a 3 ft lever arm?
No.

kevindeschamp said:
Would a electric impact cordlessdriver lift 260 lbs with a 3 ft lever arm?

That seems to me like asking a woodpecker to push over a tree.
You need an elephant.

Lets see if I can do the math.
Electric impact driver with 780 ft-lbs torque and 1/4" lever but give a force of 39,000 lbs? Am I correct?
My problem is I need to lift 260 lbs with a 3 ft lever arm. So, I need a torque of 780 ft-lbs.

Kevin

What am I missing?

kevindeschamp said:
What am I missing?
That to overcome gravity you need constant torque not just brief pulses of it.

ok it does not give a constant torque. Thanks for the info. This is a great forum.

You'd do well to try out an impact wrench. It'll give you an intuitive feel for "impulse", and you'll see why i picked the 'woodpecker' analogy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_(physics)
Thanks for the kind words. We all come here to learn.

1. What is electric impact work and how does it relate to a 300lb lever arm?

Electric impact work is a type of mechanical work that uses an electric impact wrench to apply torque to a lever arm with a weight of 300lb. This is typically done to loosen or tighten nuts in various mechanical systems.

2. How does electric impact work compare to traditional methods of nut-busting?

Electric impact work is generally considered to be more efficient and effective compared to traditional methods such as using a manual wrench or hammer. The use of an electric impact wrench allows for greater torque to be applied to the lever arm, making it easier to loosen or tighten nuts.

3. Is electric impact work safe to use on all types of nuts?

Electric impact work can be used on most types of nuts, but it is important to consider the size and strength of the nut, as well as the torque settings on the impact wrench. Using too much force on a small or fragile nut can lead to damage or breakage.

4. Can electric impact work be used for other tasks besides nut-busting?

Yes, electric impact work can be used for a variety of tasks that require high torque, such as removing bolts or screws, assembling machinery, and drilling through tough materials. It is a versatile tool that can greatly increase efficiency in many mechanical applications.

5. How do I know if I need to use electric impact work instead of a manual tool?

If you are dealing with stubborn or large nuts, or if you are looking for a faster and more efficient way to complete a task, electric impact work may be a good option. It is also a good choice for tasks that require a high level of precision and consistency.