Electric & Magnetic fields, application of Lorenz's Law to -eV electron

In summary, the velocity selector consists of electric and magnetic fields, with a given value for the magnetic field. To find the value of E that results in an undeflected electron, the cross product of the electron's velocity and the magnetic field must be equal to the opposite of E. The calculated velocity was incorrect and should be checked for errors.
spenghali

Homework Statement

A velocity selector consists of electric and magnetic fields described by the expressions vector E = E k-hat and vector B = B j-hat, with B = 0.0130 T. Find the value of E such that a 830 -eV electron moving along the negative x-axis is undeflected?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know i want to find E such that an electron with velocity = -v i-hat is undeflected. I also know form Lorenz's force that:

F = q[E + (v x B)] = 0

So i really just need to make E equal to the cross product (v x B) but opposite sign. I did this using using the fact that 830 -eV is the kinetic energy, set this equal to 0.5mv^2 and solved for v to be 4.268837e16 m/s.

Next I computed the cross product to get a value of -5.549e14 k-hat. So E should be equal to this but with opposite sign, not working however for my online submission, any suggestions as to where I am going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
4.268837e16 m/s is ridiculous. The speed of light is about 3e8 m/s. I'd check that part of the calculation first.

right right, i should have noticed that

1. What are electric and magnetic fields?

Electric and magnetic fields are types of forces that exist around charged particles or objects. They can exert a force on other charged particles and can also be affected by the motion of charged particles.

2. How are electric and magnetic fields related?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and are actually two aspects of the same phenomenon. As a charged particle moves, it creates both an electric field and a magnetic field. The strength and direction of these fields are dependent on the velocity and charge of the particle.

3. What is Lorenz's Law?

Lorenz's Law, also known as the Lorentz force law, describes the force exerted on a charged particle due to the presence of an electric and magnetic field. It states that the force on a charged particle is equal to the charge of the particle multiplied by the sum of the electric field and the cross product of the particle's velocity and the magnetic field.

4. How is Lorenz's Law applied to -eV electrons?

In the case of -eV electrons, Lorenz's Law can be used to calculate the force exerted on the electrons due to the presence of electric and magnetic fields. This can be useful in understanding the motion of these electrons and how they may be affected by the fields.

5. What are some practical applications of Lorenz's Law?

Lorenz's Law has many practical applications, including in the design of electric motors and generators, as well as in the study of particles in accelerators and particle physics experiments. It is also used in the development of technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators.