Electric potential above plane

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate potential for an infinite charged plane and the use of Gauss's Law. The correct limits of integration are important and the potential will diverge due to the infinite nature of the plane. The potential can be easily calculated using other integrals, but the reference point for zero potential must be considered.
justaboy

Homework Statement

Calculate potential.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you given the dimensions of the plane or is it an infinite plane? If it is infinite, why not use Gauss's Law?

I would normally, but the question explicitly states to solve for V(z) using the first integral. In addition, I'm not given any dimensions.

If you are not given any dimensions, then the best you can do is assume that it is an infinite plane. Define an origin anywhere on the plane and consider an element of charge of area dx'dy' at (x', y') from the origin. Then the contribution to the potential at point (x,y,z) from this charge would be

[tex]dV=\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\frac{n \: dx'dy'}{((x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+z^2))^{1/2}}[/tex]

Integrate over x' and y' to get the total potential due to all the charges on the plane. Since the plane is infinite, you may choose x=0 and y=0 without loss of generality. You may also convert to polar coordinates if that's easier for you. When you get your final answer, compare with the result from Gauss's Law to check your work.

Cheers, great help! :)

Anyone?

justaboy said:
Which isn't correct, considering the integral result has to be evaluated for r1 < r < r2. What's wrong here?
Why does the integral have to be evaluated over these limits? Do you have a ring of charge with inner diameter r1 and outer diameter r2? For an infinite plane, r goes to infinity which means that your potential diverges. This is to be expected for an infinite charged plate.

Oh, I don't mean r1 and r2 as being two separate radii, I just mean they are the limits of integration, and no two limits of integration could give me the correct answer for the potential if that last step is correct. Is it only by evaluating over the surface that the potential diverges?

Last edited:
justaboy said:
Oh, I don't mean r1 and r2 as being two separate radii, I just mean they are the limits of integration,
Limits of integration have physical significance. To integrate over the entire plane, you need to set the lower limit to zero and the upper limit to infinity.
and no two limits of integration could give me the correct answer for the potential if that last step is correct. Is it only by evaluating over the surface that the potential diverges? Because the potential is finite and easily calculable using other integrals, like [tex]V(z)=\int{E*dz} = -\frac{n*z}{2\epsilon}[/tex]
And where is the above potential zero, i.e. what is your reference point? It seems that it is zero on the plane at z=0. The summation over point charges assumes that the potential is zero at infinity, not at the origin. So where do you want your potential to be zero, at the plate or at infinity? No matter which you choose, you will end up with a very large (infinite) term to consider. This problem is artificial, in that there is no such thing as an infinite charge plate. One way to get around this is to integrate over r from zero to some radius R to get the potential V(z). Then consider what happens in the limit z/R << 1, i.e. do a Taylor expansion and see what you get.

Related to Electric potential above plane

What is electric potential above a plane?

Electric potential above a plane refers to the electrical potential energy per unit charge at any point above a conducting plane. It is a measure of the work required to bring a unit charge from infinity to that point above the plane.

How is electric potential above a plane calculated?

The electric potential above a plane can be calculated using the formula V = kσz, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, σ is the surface charge density of the plane, and z is the distance from the plane.

What factors affect the electric potential above a plane?

The electric potential above a plane is affected by the surface charge density of the plane, the distance from the plane, and the dielectric constant of the medium surrounding the plane.

Can the electric potential above a plane be negative?

Yes, the electric potential above a plane can be negative. This means that the work required to bring a unit charge from infinity to that point above the plane is negative, which indicates that the electric field is directed towards the plane.

How is the electric field related to the electric potential above a plane?

The electric field above a plane is the negative gradient of the electric potential, meaning that it is the rate of change of the electric potential with respect to distance. This can be expressed as E = -∇V.