Electric Potential and a Conductor

In summary, the electric potential inside the conductor is constant and equal to the potential on the outer and inner edges. For the potential inside the cavity, it is equal to the potential on the outer edge (kQ/2r) plus another term that can be found through integration or guessed by considering the potential at r=r1.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

A hollow spherical conductor, carrying a net charge +Q, has inner radius r1 and outer r2=2r1 radius (see the figure ). At the center of the sphere is a point charge +Q/2.
GIANCOLI.ch23.p22.jpg

A.Write the electric field strength E in all three regions as a function of r: for r>r2,r1<r<r2, and .0<r<r1

B. Determine the potential as a function of r , the distance from the center, for r>r2. Take V=0 at r=∞.

C. Determine the potential as a function of r for r1<r<r2.

D.Determine the potential as a function of r for 0<r<r1.

Homework Equations

v=k(q/r)
u=vq

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved A and B.

A. [tex]E_{r>r_2}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}(\frac{3Q}{2r^2})[/tex]
[tex]E_{r_1<r<r_2}=0[/tex]
[tex]E_{0<r<r_1}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}(\frac{Q}{2r^2})[/tex]

B. [tex]V=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}(\frac{3Q}{2r})[/tex]

I can't figure out how to solve C or D.

For C I think the charge depends on how far into the conductor you want r to be. Since the charge is distributed over the conductor. Can someone guide my thinking?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the electric field everywhere, and so you can find the electric potential anywhere (keeping in mind that the electric potential varies continuously). You know the equation that links the electric field and the electric potential?

Yes, I know that

[tex]vec(E)=-vec(\nabla V)[/tex]

I also know that

[tex]E=-\frac{dV}{ds} [/tex] when ds||E

If I use the second equation I set E equal to zero and you have v=0 which is wrong. The first one I'm not even sure how to use since I have magnitudes of vectors not vectors.

Never mind, what that tells me is that the electric potential inside the conductor is constant, but how do I derive the value?

themadhatter1 said:
Take V=0 at r=∞.

You've already used this to find the potential outside the conductor (part b), and the potential varies continuously, so what does this tell you about the potential just outside and inside the conductor?

Hmm interesting. I've got it now. The electric potential inside the shell is the sum of the electric potential on the outer edge and the inner edge.

This yields: [tex]V=k\frac{3Q}{4r_1}[/tex]

Ok, but I'm still confused on the next question. I would think the electric potential inside the cavity would be:

[tex]V=k\frac{Q}{2r}[/tex]

However, the software is telling me I am wrong. Am I missing something?

themadhatter1 said:
Hmm interesting. I've got it now. The electric potential inside the shell is the sum of the electric potential on the outer edge and the inner edge.

That's not right. The electric potential inside the conductor is constant, and there are no 'jumps' (i.e. discontinuities) of the potential at the edges. And you know the potential just outside, so what will be the potential inside the conductor, and on the inside edge?

themadhatter1 said:
[tex]V=k\frac{3Q}{4r_1}[/tex]
This is right though (for the potential inside the conductor). Maybe I just didn't understand how you worded it. You said that "The electric potential inside the shell is the sum of the electric potential on the outer edge and the inner edge." But the potential inside the shell is equal to the potential on the outer edge (and also equal to the potential on the inner edge).

themadhatter1 said:
Ok, but I'm still confused on the next question. I would think the electric potential inside the cavity would be:

[tex]V=k\frac{Q}{2r}[/tex]

However, the software is telling me I am wrong. Am I missing something?

You're close. You have the bit that varies with radius. But there is another term. You can find it directly by integration. Or you can guess it, since you know what the potential must be at r=r1.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electrical potential energy per unit charge that a charged particle has at a specific location in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential is directly proportional to the electric field. The strength of the electric field at a point is equal to the negative gradient of the electric potential at that point.

3. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge at a specific location, while electric potential energy is the total potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field.

4. How does a conductor affect electric potential?

A conductor allows charges to move freely, so it redistributes the electric charge within the conductor to reach a state of equilibrium. This results in a constant electric potential throughout the conductor.

5. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. It is a relative measure and depends on the reference point chosen. A negative electric potential indicates that the electric field is directed towards the point of reference.