Electric potential difference in a charge

In summary: What formula do you find for that?Good question. Have you checked your text or course notes? Look up electric potential energy. What formula do you find for that?In summary, the first question asks for the potential difference between two parallel plates after an electron with a velocity of 5.0x10^6 m/s is injected into the apparatus and collides with the negative plate at 1.0x10^6 m/s. The second question involves calculating the minimum separation between two alpha particles (each with a mass of 6.6x10^-27 kg and charge of 3.2x10^-19 c) that approach each other head on with a speed of 3.0x
i need help PLZ
So I have two questions relating to potential difference

1.An electron with a velocity of 5.0x10^6 m/s injected into a parallel plate apparatus through a hole in the positive plate. it moves across the vacuum between the plates, colliding with negative plate at 1.0x10^6 m/s. what is the potential difference between the plates? (mass of electron = 9.1x10^-31 kg)

2.Two alpha particles (mass 6.6x 10^.27 kg. charge = 3.2 x 10^ -19c) separated by an enormous distance, apporach each other along a "head on collision" path. Each has a speed of 3.0x10^-19m/s to begin with. Calculate their minimum separation, assuming no deflection from their original path.

I tried with 0.5mv^2 = Eqd for the first question, but there is no charge or distance given. I saw another way where is 0.5mv^2 = qV but still there is no charge given to solve.

For the second question I am kind of clueless..

Somebody help ..

Physics news on Phys.org
i need help PLZ said:
I saw another way where is 0.5mv^2 = qV but still there is no charge given to solve.

Surely your textbook states the charge of an electron somewhere? Or you can try Google. :oldwink:

Hi, Welcome to Physics Forums.

In future please use the template provided in the edit window to format your question, and post only one question per thread.

i need help PLZ said:
So I have two questions relating to potential difference

1.An electron with a velocity of 5.0x10^6 m/s injected into a parallel plate apparatus through a hole in the positive plate. it moves across the vacuum between the plates, colliding with negative plate at 1.0x10^6 m/s. what is the potential difference between the plates? (mass of electron = 9.1x10^-31 kg)

2.Two alpha particles (mass 6.6x 10^.27 kg. charge = 3.2 x 10^ -19c) separated by an enormous distance, apporach each other along a "head on collision" path. Each has a speed of 3.0x10^-19m/s to begin with. Calculate their minimum separation, assuming no deflection from their original path.

I tried with 0.5mv^2 = Eqd for the first question, but there is no charge or distance given. I saw another way where is 0.5mv^2 = qV but still there is no charge given to solve.
jtbell gave good advice for the charge of the electron. It's used frequently in physics so can be considered a constant that you should be familiar with, much like g is.
For the second question I am kind of clueless..
What physical quantities can you calculate with the given information?

Can you confirm the given speed value in the problem statement? It seems to be rather small to yield a realistic result (at least for our universe :wideeyed: )

jtbell said:
Surely your textbook states the charge of an electron somewhere? Or you can try Google. :oldwink:
so is V = (0.5(9.1x10^-31)((1.0x10^6)^2))/(1.6x10^19)
and is there a difference between 0.5mv^2 = Eqd and 0.5mv^2 = qV

gneill said:
Hi, Welcome to Physics Forums.

In future please use the template provided in the edit window to format your question, and post only one question per thread.jtbell gave good advice for the charge of the electron. It's used frequently in physics so can be considered a constant that you should be familiar with, much like g is.

What physical quantities can you calculate with the given information?

Can you confirm the given speed value in the problem statement? It seems to be rather small to yield a realistic result (at least for our universe :wideeyed: )
The speed for the second question is actually 3.0x10^6 m/s, i put the wrong numbers.

i need help PLZ said:
The speed for the second question is actually 3.0x10^6 m/s, i put the wrong numbers.
Okay, that looks more plausible for the question. What have you tried?

gneill said:
Okay, that looks more plausible for the question. What have you tried?
I subbed it into 0.5mv^2 to find the kinetic energy

i need help PLZ said:
I subbed it into 0.5mv^2 to find the kinetic energy
Okay, what will you do with it?

gneill said:
Okay, what will you do with it?
Find the potential difference ?

i need help PLZ said:
Find the potential difference ?
What potential difference would that be? Perhaps you mean potential energy?

gneill said:
What potential difference would that be? Perhaps you mean potential energy?
Yes, how would you find the potential energy

i need help PLZ said:
Yes, how would you find the potential energy
Good question. Have you checked your text or course notes? Look up electric potential energy.

1. What is electric potential difference in a charge?

Electric potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is a measure of the amount of energy required to move a unit of electric charge from one point to another.

2. How is electric potential difference measured?

Electric potential difference is measured in units of volts (V) using a voltmeter. A voltmeter is connected in parallel to the circuit and measures the potential difference between two points.

3. What causes electric potential difference in a charge?

Electric potential difference is caused by the separation of positive and negative charges within an electric field. The electric field exerts a force on charged particles, causing them to move and creating a potential difference.

4. How does electric potential difference affect the flow of electric current?

Electric potential difference is what drives the flow of electric current in a circuit. Current will flow from a higher potential (positive) to a lower potential (negative) in order to equalize the potential difference.

5. How is electric potential difference related to electric potential energy?

Electric potential difference is directly related to electric potential energy. An increase in electric potential difference results in an increase in electric potential energy, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation V = PE/q, where V is the potential difference, PE is the potential energy, and q is the charge.