Electric potential of a ring

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electric potential due to a ring of radius a made from a charge wire with a uniform charge density λ. The solution involves using dq = λ dL and plugging it into V = k∫(1/r)dq, resulting in V = (2kλπa)/(a2 + d2)1/2. For part b, the solution involves using the equation V = U/Q and setting Q as λL, then solving for the speed of a particle with mass m and identical charge to the ring that is displaced ever so slightly from the center, resulting in v = 2πλ(2ak/m)1/2.
Cantspel

Homework Statement

A ring of radius a is made from a charge wire with a uniform charge density λ.

a) Calculate the electric potential due to the ring as a function of distance from its center along the axis of the ring passing through the center, perpendicular to its plane

b) If a particle of mass m with a charge identical to that of the ring displaced ever so slightly from the ring's center what speed will the particle eventually attain after being repulsed by the ring.

Homework Equations

V = k∫(1/r)dq[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So for a I drew the ring here is my best redraw of it in ms paint below. After drawing it i used dq = λ dL than i plug that into V = k∫(1/r)dq and I plug (a2 + d2)1/2 for r. getting me V = k∫(λdL)/(a2 + d2)1/2 getting me
V = (kλL)/(a2 + d2)1/2 since L = 2πa I can replace it in the fuction. So I get V = (2kλπa)/(a2 + d2)1/2

I have to clue weather or not this is right and have no idea how to begin part b.

Attachments

• Stuff.png
    Stuff.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 434
Physics news on Phys.org
Cantspel said:
I have to clue weather or not this is right and have no idea how to begin part b.
You have part a correct.
For part b, think about energy.

Last edited:
So since V = U/Q I can set it as (2kλπa)/(a2 + d2)1/2 = U/Q since the Q is the same as the one the ring has I can replace Q as λL since L = 2πa, Q = λ2πa So U = (4kπ2λ2a2)/(a2 + d2)1/2 and U = KE = 1/2mv2, so v2 = (2kπ2λ2a2)/(m(a2 + d2)1/2)
then I take the square of both sides and I get v = (πλa(2k)1/2)/(m(a2 + d2)1/2)1/2

Cantspel said:
So since V = U/Q I can set it as (2kλπa)/(a2 + d2)1/2 = U/Q since the Q is the same as the one the ring has I can replace Q as λL since L = 2πa, Q = λ2πa So U = (4kπ2λ2a2)/(a2 + d2)1/2 and U = KE = 1/2mv2, so v2 = (2kπ2λ2a2)/(m(a2 + d2)1/2)
then I take the square of both sides and I get v = (πλa(2k)1/2)/(m(a2 + d2)1/2)1/2
Where d is...?
I think there may be a factor of 2 error.

haruspex said:
Where d is...?

Can you please elaborate on what you mean? I don't know if you are saying that is the speed at d or if you are asking where d is at.

haruspex said:
I think there may be a factor of 2 error.

I see it now the (2k)1/2 is actually a (8k)1/2

Cantspel said:
Can you please elaborate on what you mean? I don't know if you are saying that is the speed at d or if you are asking where d is at.
haruspex is pointing out that you never defined what the symbol d represents.
I see it now the (2k)1/2 is actually a (8k)1/2
Yes.

TSny said:
haruspex is pointing out that you never defined what the symbol d represents.
Right, but more importantly that d is not given as part of the question, so should not appear in the answer.

Since d can't be in the solution should I be looking to relate d to a or am I just going about this the wrong way?

Cantspel said:
Since d can't be in the solution should I be looking to relate d to a or am I just going about this the wrong way?
Cantspel said:
displaced ever so slightly from the ring's center

I understand the problem is saying that the particle is starting a distance ds, but i still don't understand how that helps me solve the problem. Is ds somehow related to d cause I just don't see it.

Cantspel said:
I understand the problem is saying that the particle is starting a distance ds, but i still don't understand how that helps me solve the problem. Is ds somehow related to d cause I just don't see it.
It means that you can treat d as zero initially.

So does this mean the answer is just v = πλa(8k/ma)1/2

Cantspel said:
So does this mean the answer is just v = πλa(8k/ma)1/2
Yes, but you can simplify a bit more.

Likes Cantspel
v = 2πλ(2ak/m)1/2

Cantspel said:
v = 2πλ(2ak/m)1/2
Looks good.

Likes Cantspel
Thanks for all the help!

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric potential of a ring?

The formula for calculating the electric potential of a ring is V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the ring, and r is the distance from the center of the ring.

2. How does the electric potential of a ring vary with distance from the center?

The electric potential of a ring follows an inverse relationship with distance from the center. This means that as the distance from the center increases, the electric potential decreases.

3. Can the electric potential of a ring be negative?

Yes, the electric potential of a ring can be negative. This occurs when the charge of the ring is negative or when the point at which the potential is being measured is located inside the ring.

4. How does the number of charges on a ring affect its electric potential?

The number of charges on a ring has a direct effect on its electric potential. The more charges a ring has, the higher its electric potential will be. This is because the electric potential is directly proportional to the charge of the ring.

5. What is the unit of measurement for electric potential of a ring?

The unit of measurement for electric potential is volts (V). This unit is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge. In the case of a ring, it would be the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point on the ring's circumference.