Solving Electric Potential for q in Spherical Conductor

In summary, a charge q is placed in a spherical hollow inside a spherical conductor with a radius of r=0 to r=a. The potential is found to be zero for r>a and for r<a and r>b, the potential is given by E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{q}{r^2} \hat{r}. However, for r=0, the potential blows up and is defined as V = 0 at r = infinity instead of r = 0 to avoid this issue.
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

A charge q sits in a spherical hollow inside a spherical conductor.

q is located at r=0
Hollow from r = 0 to r =a
from r=a to r=b a conductor
r=b to r = infinity free space

Find the potential everywhere
2. The attempt at a solution
I calculated these
[tex] E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{q}{r^2} \hat{r} [/tex]
for r<a and r> b

E= 0 for a<r<b

To find the potential from 0 to r=a is what concerns me... We end up having hte potential blow up in at the origin.

it is late and I am not thinking striaght but i can't see a way out ...

please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correnct... Good job...

We end up having hte potential blow up in at the origin.
That is absolutely normal for a point charge, That is the reason why we have to
DEFINE V = 0 at r = infinity instead of r = 0

1. How do you calculate the electric potential for a spherical conductor?

The electric potential for a spherical conductor can be calculated using the formula V = k*q/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge on the conductor, and r is the distance from the center of the conductor.

2. What is the relationship between electric potential and charge in a spherical conductor?

In a spherical conductor, the electric potential is directly proportional to the charge on the conductor. This means that as the charge increases, the electric potential also increases.

3. How does the distance from the center of the conductor affect the electric potential?

The electric potential is inversely proportional to the distance from the center of the conductor. This means that as the distance increases, the electric potential decreases.

4. Can the electric potential be negative in a spherical conductor?

Yes, the electric potential can be negative in a spherical conductor. This happens when the charge on the conductor is negative, causing the electric potential to be negative as well.

5. What is the unit of electric potential in a spherical conductor?

The unit of electric potential in a spherical conductor is volts (V). This is the same unit used for electric potential in any other system.