1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential

1. May 18, 2009 #1

Air

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Particles of the charges q1=+5e (at origin) and q2=-15e are fixed in place with a separation of d=0.24m. With V=0 at infinity, what are the finite (a) positive and (b) negative values of x at which the net electric potential on the x axis is zero?

2. Relevant equations
    E=Kq/r

3. The problem I encounter
    I can get the answer but I don't understand the position considered. Where do I consider my x value to be? Why don't we consider x to be greater than d? Why do we only consider for 0<x<d or x<d?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2009 #2
    x is the point where the electric fields from the charges cancel each other out. There are only two such points. You can consider x>d if you like but you won't find a point where the fields cancel each other because the field of q2 is always stronger in that region.

4. May 18, 2009 #3

Air

But we are considering potential. Do we understand through electric field then use the equation of potential?

5. May 18, 2009 #4
    Well, the only difference in the formula for the field is the power of r so qualitatively it's the same. In the region x>d the magnitude of q2 potential is always greater than that of q1. I just thought fields are more intuitive and illustrate better why there are only two points.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook