1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potentials: concentric spheres

1. Sep 22, 2004 #1
    Two concentric spheres of radii 1.65 cm and 19.0 cm, respectively, are given equal but opposite charges of 6.35e-08 C. How much energy is stored in the system (in J)?

I know V = U/q where U would be the entire energy stored in the system beacuse it's not in motion. I know q's but I just don't know how to apply it.

I've thought about this so much. I tried setting up a ridiculous integral for solving this but it just went way over my head. The question doesn't really even make sense because wouldn't some of the charges overlap each other? I think the teacher meant hollow spheres. A little point in the right direction, please. (Test tomorrow) :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the problem is about spherical shells.

I'm curious - has your class discussed the capacitance of a spherical capacitor? If so then you may already have a formula for finding the energy stored. If not, nevermind! :-)

4. Sep 22, 2004 #3
    Yes the teacher touched on it for the last half of a lecture I think but it wasn't much more than parallel plates (a lecture is 2.5 hours though so that's a lot of time). Oh yeah I see it may be addressed in the chapter he touched on. Thanks tide I'll see if I can't work something out from this.

Ah, found it.

the potential difference between the spheres

q/(4*pi*enot) * (outer radius - inner radius) / (outer radius * inner radius)

I wish I had enough time to derive this formula but I'm in a crunch :\

My grasp of this subject is worse than I'd like it to be but since dV = dU/q ,
    the total energy is dV * q? Am I correct?

Edit: The computer that checks my answers says I was wrong.. I got 4.98e11 joules

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2004
  5. Sep 22, 2004 #4
    Can my answer be confirmed? The computer keeps telling me I'm wrong argh. Ok now I'm getting 2e-03 joules which I know has to be wrong as well. This is so confusing sigh. Edit ok here my work:

C = q^2 / U

C = 4*pi*enot * (Ro * Ri) / (Ro - Ri)

where enot is 8.85e-12 and Ro is the outer radius and Ri is the inner radius

C = (6.35e-08)^2 / U = 2.01e-12

U = (6.35e-08)^2 / 2.01e-12

= 2.01e-03

:\

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?