Electric susceptibility problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between bound and free charge density in a homogeneous linear dielectric. It is stated that bound charge density is proportional to free charge density, but this does not apply to surface charge due to the dependence of susceptibility on position at the boundary. The conversation also mentions that Griffiths finds this to be obvious, but the participants are unsure why. The only relation between bound surface charge and susceptibility mentioned is \sigma_b = \vec{P} \cdot \hat{n} = \epsilon_0 \chi \vec{E}, but it is not seen as helpful. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about the use of the word "obvious" in textbooks.
Psi-String
In a homogeneous linear dielectric , bound charge density [tex] \rho _b [/tex] is proportional to free charge density [tex] \rho_f [/tex] , because

[tex] \rho _b = - \nabla \cdot \vec{P} = \frac{\chi_e}{1+\chi_e} \nabla \cdot \vec{D} = \frac{\chi_e}{1+\chi_e} \rho _f [/tex]

My problem is that bound charge density is proportional to free charge density does not apply to surface charge, because susceptibility is not independent to position at the boundary, but why??

Griffiths says this is obvious, I can't see why :cry: susceptibility is not independent to position at the boundary, could someone tell me, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bound surface charge depends on P_\perp at the surface.
You can use this to relate bound surface charge to the susceptiblilty.
Griffiths is rather weak on bound surface charge.
This is unfortunate, because for a linear dielectric,
rho_bound=0 (since rho_free is usually zero), and it is only the bound surface charge that contrilbutes.

hmm...

[tex] \sigma_b = \vec{P} \cdot \hat{n} = \epsilon_0 \chi \vec{E} [/tex]
This the only relation between the bound surface charge and susceptibility that bumped into my head, but I don't think this is helpful ...:confused:

Psi-String said:
Griffiths says this is obvious, I can't see why :cry: susceptibility is not independent to position at the boundary, could someone tell me, thanks!

I don't quite understand what he means by "obvious" either.

Maybe what he means is that, inside the dielectric [itex]\chi_e[/itex] is the same because the material is homogeneous, but at either side of the surface, [itex]\chi_e[/itex] is different.

Last edited:
When a book uses the word obvious it means the author is confused.

Meir Achuz said:
When a book uses the word obvious it means the author is confused.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1. What is electric susceptibility?

Electric susceptibility is a measure of how easily a material can be polarized in response to an electric field. It is defined as the ratio of the electric polarization of a material to the magnitude of the applied electric field.

2. How is electric susceptibility related to the dielectric constant?

Electric susceptibility and dielectric constant are closely related, as the dielectric constant is equal to the sum of 1 and the electric susceptibility. In other words, the dielectric constant is a measure of how much the electric field is weakened by a material, while the electric susceptibility is a measure of how easily the material can be polarized by the electric field.

3. What factors affect the electric susceptibility of a material?

The electric susceptibility of a material is affected by several factors, including the molecular structure, temperature, and external electric fields. In general, materials with polar molecules or high dielectric constants tend to have higher electric susceptibility.

4. How is electric susceptibility measured?

Electric susceptibility can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as capacitance measurements, polarimetry, and nuclear magnetic resonance. It is important to note that the measurement technique used may affect the value obtained for electric susceptibility.

5. What are the practical applications of electric susceptibility?

Electric susceptibility has many practical applications, including in the design and production of electronic devices, such as capacitors and transistors. It is also important in understanding the behavior of materials in electric fields, and is used in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and engineering.