1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical circuits conceptual question

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    1) What is the pattern for how voltage gets distributed in a series circuit with equal resistances? what about with unequal resistances?
    2) What about in a parallel circuit for equal resistances? with unequal resistances?
    In either scenario, is there any relation btwn the size of resistance and size of voltage?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Apparently you are interested in V=I*R, and the sum of the voltages in a loop are 0. Likewise the sum of the currents into a node are equal to the sum of the currents out of a node.

The rest of your question then is determining equivalent resistances, which follow from these 3 principles.

4. Sep 22, 2008 #3
    Thanks, but I'm still not sure I understand how that'll affect the pattern... does that mean there will be negative voltages so the sum is 0? I imagine with equal resistances, voltage would be equal both for parallel and series, but I'm not sure...

5. Sep 22, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

If you have current you have a voltage source. Your loop is a complete circuit.

For equal resistances then your current being the same in series will result in what ... ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?