Electrical circuits conceptual question

• Thread starter jaejoon89
  • Start date
1) What is the pattern for how voltage gets distributed in a series circuit with equal resistances? what about with unequal resistances?
2) What about in a parallel circuit for equal resistances? with unequal resistances?
In either scenario, is there any relation btwn the size of resistance and size of voltage?

Answers and Replies

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
1) What is the pattern for how voltage gets distributed in a series circuit with equal resistances? what about with unequal resistances?
2) What about in a parallel circuit for equal resistances? with unequal resistances?
In either scenario, is there any relation btwn the size of resistance and size of voltage?

Apparently you are interested in V=I*R, and the sum of the voltages in a loop are 0. Likewise the sum of the currents into a node are equal to the sum of the currents out of a node.

The rest of your question then is determining equivalent resistances, which follow from these 3 principles.

Thanks, but I'm still not sure I understand how that'll affect the pattern... does that mean there will be negative voltages so the sum is 0? I imagine with equal resistances, voltage would be equal both for parallel and series, but I'm not sure...

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Thanks, but I'm still not sure I understand how that'll affect the pattern... does that mean there will be negative voltages so the sum is 0? I imagine with equal resistances, voltage would be equal both for parallel and series, but I'm not sure...

If you have current you have a voltage source. Your loop is a complete circuit.

For equal resistances then your current being the same in series will result in what ... ?