Electrical conduction through air

• Thread starter mdaugird
  • Start date
rbelli1
Gold Member
I did one more experiment.

I placed into a trough a number of aluminum PEM inserts. I applied an AC voltage across them with a 100k resistor. At about 28VAC they started conducting. They remained conductive down to 0VAC. The electrodes were 27cm apart. Shaking the trough reset the system.

I repeated this with stainless steel inserts. They were slightly larger but the same basic shape. They did not conduct until 35VAC. However the first time I tried this I got 15VAC across the 100k resistor. After some amount of shaking the voltage went up to 30VAC.

I also repeated this with some galvanized self tapping sheet metal screws. The results were similar to the aluminum parts except that only 28VAC was necessary.

If using metal particles to do this test, material is important. I would recommend not using stainless steel and probably anything that uses chromium for the passivization layer is not suitable. Chromium can be toxic anyway.

BoB

Having specifically worked for a company that make bus bar insulation systems, I feel your pain.

We wrapped in foil
We used a conductive brush electrode (yes a manual process)
We did water immersion when feasible

Still depends on the insulation levels needed and how you need to "certify" the test to your clients.