Electrical Energy Electron Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the smallest possible distance between two electrons that are fired at 3.5x10^6 m/s directly at each other. The formula Em1=Em2 is used, but it is noted that both electrons are moving, making it difficult to use. It is suggested to consider only one electron and work relative to the midpoint between them, which is stationary due to symmetry. This means that each electron separately satisfies conservation of energy and the only thing to watch is measuring the potential energy of one electron from the other electron, not from the midpoint.
BlueCardBird

Homework Statement

Two electrons are fired at 3.5x10^6 m/s directly at each other

a) calculate the smallest possible distance between the 2 electrons

me=9.1x10^-31 Ve1=3.5x10^6 m/s qe=1.6x10^-19 C

Homework Equations

Em1=Em2

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried using Em1=Em2 which 1/2meve1^2+kqeqe/r1=1/2meve2^2+kqeqe/r2

I can't seem to use that formula because both electrons are moving, instead of one being stationary.

Physics news on Phys.org
By symmetry, you only need to consider the energy for one electron. What is its initial KE, and what is its PE when a distance x from the midpoint between them?

So how would i calculate the distance between them if i could consider one electron?

As I said, work relative to the midpoint between them, which, by symmetry, is stationary.

that kind of confuses me, sorry but could you elaborate on the symmetry?

Let C be the midpoint. When one electron is distance x from it and moving towards it at speed v, the other will be distance x on the other side, also moving towards it at speed v. Each separately satisfies conservation of energy. The only thing to watch is that when you calculate the PE of one you measure distance from the other electron (2x), not from C.

Thanks sir! The help is much appreciated, with all the formulas in this unit, questions are quite confusing.

1. What is electrical energy?

Electrical energy is the energy that is produced by the movement of electrons. It is a form of energy that is carried by electrical charges and can be converted into other forms of energy, such as light, heat, or mechanical energy.

2. How is electrical energy generated?

Electrical energy is generated through various methods, such as chemical reactions (e.g. in batteries), electromagnetic induction (e.g. in generators), or nuclear reactions (e.g. in nuclear power plants).

3. What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle that carries a negative charge and is found in the outer shells of an atom. It is one of the fundamental building blocks of matter and plays a crucial role in electricity and chemical reactions.

4. How do electrons move to create electrical energy?

Electrons are able to move from one atom to another, creating a flow of electrical current. This flow can be harnessed through conductors, such as wires, and used to power devices.

5. Can electrical energy be stored?

Yes, electrical energy can be stored in various forms, such as batteries, capacitors, or fuel cells. This allows for a continuous supply of electricity even when the source of generation is not actively producing energy.