1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Energy Electron Question

1. Dec 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two electrons are fired at 3.5x10^6 m/s directly at each other

a) calculate the smallest possible distance between the 2 electrons

me=9.1x10^-31 Ve1=3.5x10^6 m/s qe=1.6x10^-19 C

2. Relevant equations

Em1=Em2

3. The attempt at a solution

Tried using Em1=Em2 which 1/2meve1^2+kqeqe/r1=1/2meve2^2+kqeqe/r2

I cant seem to use that formula because both electrons are moving, instead of one being stationary.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

By symmetry, you only need to consider the energy for one electron. What is its initial KE, and what is its PE when a distance x from the midpoint between them?

4. Dec 5, 2012 #3
    So how would i calculate the distance between them if i could consider one electron?

5. Dec 5, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As I said, work relative to the midpoint between them, which, by symmetry, is stationary.

6. Dec 5, 2012 #5
    that kind of confuses me, sorry but could you elaborate on the symmetry?

7. Dec 5, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Let C be the midpoint. When one electron is distance x from it and moving towards it at speed v, the other will be distance x on the other side, also moving towards it at speed v. Each separately satisfies conservation of energy. The only thing to watch is that when you calculate the PE of one you measure distance from the other electron (2x), not from C.

8. Dec 5, 2012 #7
    Thanks sir! The help is much appreciated, with all the formulas in this unit, questions are quite confusing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook