Electrical Engineering BS to Aerospace Engineering MS

In summary, the person is interested in working with space technology and asked for options. They were told that it may be difficult, but if they are smart enough, they should be fine. The easiest part for them would be the electronic side of aerospace, particularly avionics. They also mentioned considering a masters program in aerospace engineering, which offers a variety of concentrations. As an electrical engineer, they may have a background in some areas but not in others.
DominoK
Hello. Is this possible, or would I be missing out on a lot of groundwork? Any options?

I'd like to work on anything involving space, like satellites and such.

Thank you!?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not to discourage you but if am being honest, it will be difficult. If you're smart enough (which I believe you are ;)), then it should be fine. The easiest part for you will definitely be the electronic side of aerospace, which is avionics if you join aeronautical engineering. All the best :).

I looked into doing that when I picked a masters program. It really depends on what you want to concentrate on. Even in aerospace engineering for a masters you can get a wide range of concentrations (fluids, controls, avionics, propulsion, structures, etc)

as an electrical engineer, some of those you will have zero background in, others, like controls, you have all the prerecs required (at least in my case I did)

1. What is the difference between electrical engineering and aerospace engineering?

Electrical engineering is the study and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics, while aerospace engineering focuses on the design and development of aircraft, spacecraft, and related technology. While there is some overlap in the fields, the main difference lies in the specific applications and industries each field focuses on.

2. Can I pursue a master's degree in aerospace engineering with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a master's degree in aerospace engineering with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering. Many universities offer graduate programs that allow students to transition from one engineering field to another, as there are often overlapping courses and skills needed for both fields.

3. What skills from my electrical engineering degree will be useful in aerospace engineering?

Some of the skills that are transferable from electrical engineering to aerospace engineering include a strong understanding of mathematics, physics, and computer programming. Additionally, knowledge of circuit design, control systems, and signal processing can also be applied to aerospace engineering.

4. Are there any additional courses or training I should take to prepare for a master's in aerospace engineering?

It is recommended to take some courses in aerospace-related topics, such as aerodynamics, propulsion, and structures, to gain a better understanding of the field. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or research projects in aerospace engineering can be beneficial.

5. What career opportunities are available with a master's degree in aerospace engineering?

A master's degree in aerospace engineering can open up a wide range of career opportunities in the aerospace industry, including roles such as aerospace engineer, systems engineer, flight test engineer, and research and development engineer. Graduates may also work in related fields such as defense, transportation, and energy.