Electrical engineering curriculum.

In summary: I realize the importance of humanities courses but I just prefer to keep dealing with Physics/Math topics.
YYaaSSeeRR
hi all
here is my school curriculum :

First Year :

1st semester

ENG 101 college writing

MTH 181 Calculus I

CHM 261 General Chemistry I

CHM 266 General Chemistry Lab I

ESC 120 Intro To Engineering Design

ESC 100 New Student Orientation

semester 2:

ENG 102 OR ESC 102 Tech. Writing

MTH 182 Calculus II

PHY 243 Univ. Physics I (Writing)

ESC151 C Programming

2nd Year:

semester 3

MTH 283 Multi. Calculus for Engineers

MTH 284 Matrices for Engineers

PHY 244 Univ. Physics II (Writing)

ESC 250 Differential Equations for Eng

EEC 310 Electric Circuits I

semester 4:

EEC 311 Electric Circuits II

EEC 313 Electronics I

EEC 312 Circuits Lab

ESC 310 Eng. Statistics & Probability

Gen Ed Elective

3rd year:

semester 5

EEC 314 Electronics II

EEC 315 Electronics Laboratory

EEC 361 Electro‐Mech Energy Conversion

EEC 382 Digital Systems and Lab

EEC 414 Writing in Elec & Comp Eng

semester 6:

ESC 203 Statics and Dynamics

ESC 282 Engineering Economy

PHL 215 Engineering Ethics (Writing)

EEC 460 Engineering Electromagnetics

Gen Ed Elective

4th year:

semester 7

EEC Core Elective **

EEC Core Lab **

EEC Core Elective **

EEC Core Lab **

EEC Tech Elective

Gen Ed Elective

semester 8:

EEC 490 Senior Design

EEC Tech Elective

EEC Tech Elective

Gen Ed Elective

**Two Core Elective/Lab sets should be selected from the following three areas:
∙ Communications: EEC450/EEC451
∙ Controls: EEC440/EEC441
∙ Power Electronics: EEC470/EEC471

I need to know what do you think about this curriculum.
my school is accredited by the ABET and the professors seem to be good enough despite I have not started classes yet :)

is Multi.Calculus the same of calculus III ? or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
YYaaSSeeRR said:
I need to know what do you think about this curriculum.
my school is accredited by the ABET and the professors seem to be good enough despite I have not started classes yet :)

is Multi.Calculus the same of calculus III ? or what?

You will be fine. Just make sure you learn what you need to.

Multivariable calculus should be equivalent to what calculus 3 usually is.

Looks reasonable and is accredited, so I agree that you will be fine. Every school does things a little differently, so it is hard to tell too much from course names alone. By the way, where are all of your humanities courses? Is that what "gen ed" refers too? In any case, make sure you keep up with your work throughout the semester and make the most of the offices hours with professors and you will earn a good education.

jason

That is pretty much identical to my universities curriculum, however it doesn't look like you do a partial differential equation course which can be quite handy.

jasonRF said:
where are all of your humanities courses?

thank god there are no humanities courses because I hate them.
but ,I do have Engineering ethics.

Don't be so quick to hate on humanities courses, nothing wrong with a well rounded mind.

Looks very different from my university curriculum. Your course look more mathematical than mine(which is good for you). There is no Instrumentation course though(which is considered very core for EE). Electromagnetism in 6th semester is too late. Should have been in 2nd or 3rd semester. But the curriculum looks good!

What a shame to hear you so down on humanities. I hope you will reconsider the richness in life that comes from studying history, literature, cultures and similar topics.

marcusl said:
What a shame to hear you so down on humanities. I hope you will reconsider the richness in life that comes from studying history, literature, cultures and similar topics.

I realize the importance of humanities courses but I just prefer to keep dealing with Physics/Math topics.
I do have Engineering ethics in my curriculum.

I must say that I really learned how to write (or at least improved my writing) from history and english classes. I was an EE major and 25% of my courses (10 of 40) were humanities / social science. It is too bad your curriculum is so narrow. In any case, I wish you the best of luck.

jason

1. What is the purpose of studying electrical engineering?

The purpose of studying electrical engineering is to understand the principles and applications of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. This knowledge is essential for designing, developing, and maintaining electrical systems and devices used in various industries such as telecommunications, power generation, and transportation.

2. What are the core courses in an electrical engineering curriculum?

The core courses in an electrical engineering curriculum typically include courses in mathematics, physics, circuit analysis, digital systems, and electronics. Students also take courses in areas such as electromagnetics, control systems, and computer engineering to gain a well-rounded understanding of the field.

3. What skills will I develop through an electrical engineering curriculum?

An electrical engineering curriculum focuses on developing skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical reasoning, and technical proficiency. Students also gain hands-on experience in designing and implementing electrical systems through laboratory experiments and projects.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying electrical engineering?

Yes, there are usually prerequisites for studying electrical engineering, such as a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Some universities may also require students to have taken specific courses in high school, such as calculus and physics.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with an electrical engineering degree?

Graduates with an electrical engineering degree have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as energy and power systems, telecommunications, electronics, and computer engineering. They can work as electrical engineers, electronics engineers, computer engineers, and many other roles that require expertise in electrical systems and devices.