Electrical Engineering MUX help?

In summary: So 00 should be tied to 1 and 01 should be tied to 0.For the 1 column, the same logic applies as the 0 column but the roles of 0 and 1 are switched as far as what value is tied to what select.So 11 should be tied to 1, 10 to 0.So what we have is a MUX with 2 select bits. The output of the mux is tied to a and c, and the inputs are the 4 values, 00, 01, 10, 11. The only difference between the system we've described and the one you've looked at is that the select bits are switched and that the output of
MagLok
Here's an image of the assignment: http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/9125/1331011mg1.jpg

1 and 2 specifically..I think I can get the others knowing 1 and 2, ALSO: I don't want the answers, just the method of obtaining it. I'm completely lost with MUX.

Thanks in advance,

-M

EDIT:

I understand the concept of inputs, the selector inputs, and the final values, but what happens inside of a multiplexer? Thanks in advance (again)

-M

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The logic of a MUX is pretty simple. Say there are 2 inputs X0 and X1 and one select bit given by S. If S is 0, X0 appears on the output. If S is 1, X1 appears on the output. The logic of this MUX is therefore OUT = SX1 + (~S)X0 because in order for OUT to be true, the select bit must be selecting an input that is true. I have used ~ to mean NOT.

Last edited:
Thanks jhicks, but unfortunately I still don't quite get it.

My notebook was lost earlier this week with examples, and now I just have this problem off of an old test to go by: http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8118/456456le3.jpg

I understand the k-map and the truth table, but I don't understand how he goes from those to a multiplexer (or how the multiplexer can go to the function.)

Thanks (again) in advance,

-M

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the k-map and the truth table, but I don't understand how he goes from those to a multiplexer

Well really the truth table goes to the k-map and the k-map gives you the MSOP (or MPOS) form of the output. You can't view the MUX as some sort of mechanical device that has a little switch that connects to a particular input based on the select bits, it's simply a piece of logic that let's the select bits control which output is expressed.

Ok I'm writing up an explanation for what's happening now. No doubt you come up with the MUX before you come up with the k-map and truth table:

F=(~a)(~c) + ab. a controls select bit 1 and c controls select bit 0. Let's look at the ab term. If a is true, then ~a is false and therefore the value of c doesn't matter because (~a)(~c) will never be true. If b is true, ab is true. If b is false, ab is false. Therefore, if a is true then we wish b to be tied to both inputs that can be selected when a is true because c doesn't matter, so b should be tied to selects 10 and 11

For 00 and 01, on the other hand, consider the (~a)(~c) term. If ~a is true, then (~a)(~c) evaluates to whatever (~c) is and ab will always be false. If ~c is 1 then (~a)(~c) evaluates to true, therefore 00 should be tied to 1. If ~c is 0 (i.e. c=1) then (~a)(~c) evaluates to false always, so tie the input chosen when a=0 and c=1 to 0.

Last edited:

1) How does a multiplexer (MUX) work in electrical engineering?

A multiplexer is a device that selects one of several input signals and forwards the selected input to a single output. This is achieved by using control signals to determine which input is selected and sent to the output. In electrical engineering, MUXes are commonly used in digital circuits to reduce the number of input/output pins needed for a circuit.

2) What is the difference between a MUX and a demultiplexer (DEMUX)?

A MUX selects one of several input signals and forwards it to a single output, while a DEMUX performs the opposite function - it takes a single input and distributes it to one of several outputs based on control signals. Essentially, a MUX is a multiplexing device and a DEMUX is a demultiplexing device.

3) How is a MUX used in circuit design?

MUXes are commonly used in circuit design to reduce the number of input/output pins needed for a circuit. They are often used to select between different inputs, such as selecting between different memory addresses or between different data sources. MUXes are also used in communication systems to combine multiple data streams into a single channel for transmission.

4) What are some common applications of MUXes in electrical engineering?

MUXes have a wide range of applications in electrical engineering. They are commonly used in digital circuits for signal routing and switching, as well as in communication systems for multiplexing multiple data streams. MUXes are also used in various electronic devices, such as computers, smartphones, and televisions.

5) How do I design a MUX in a circuit?

To design a MUX in a circuit, you will need to select the appropriate MUX IC (integrated circuit) for your specific application. You will also need to determine the number of inputs and outputs needed, as well as the control signals required. It is important to carefully consider the timing and voltage levels of your circuit to ensure proper operation of the MUX. You may also need to incorporate additional components, such as decoders or encoders, into your circuit design.