Electrical Engineering Senior RF Project

In summary: Building a WiFi sniffer would give you experience in software defined radio, and it's an interesting topic. Other suggestions?
pemo
Hi Folks,

I didn't know exactly where to put this post, so if it's in the wrong section, I apologize.

On to it then. I'm in my final year in EE, and I want to work on a project that let's me become comfortable with RF/Communications concepts commonly run into in industry. I was bouncing around the idea of building a WiFi sniffer or simple RF transmitter/receiver - but I wanted to come here to get some advice first.

My end goal is to work in the RF industry, preferably in RFIC design, although I know those are extremely tough jobs to get, and would possibly accept a less competitive role. I've interned in product development at a RF switch company for around a year and a half, and I just can't figure out anything that will give me good experience without expensive equipment.

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
pemo said:
Hi Folks,

I didn't know exactly where to put this post, so if it's in the wrong section, I apologize.

On to it then. I'm in my final year in EE, and I want to work on a project that let's me become comfortable with RF/Communications concepts commonly run into in industry. I was bouncing around the idea of building a WiFi sniffer or simple RF transmitter/receiver - but I wanted to come here to get some advice first.

My end goal is to work in the RF industry, preferably in RFIC design, although I know those are extremely tough jobs to get, and would possibly accept a less competitive role. I've interned in product development at a RF switch company for around a year and a half, and I just can't figure out anything that will give me good experience without expensive equipment.

Thanks for your time.

Welcome to the PF.

Building a transmitter involves government licensing issues, so for your project, building a receiver and processing the received signal is probably the way to go. A WiFi sniffer sounds like a good project. You could also look into building a trunked scanner type of receiver -- those can get pretty complicated.

Thanks berkeman, a trunked receiver seems to be largely related to software defined radio, am I correct in that assumption?

Why would a WiFi sniffer be a good project?

Back to the topic of software defined radio, I would like to pick up some experience in this field, as it's pretty interesting (I've always liked DSP) and I could see it going places. Any other suggestions with topics related to software defined radio?

Thanks again.

1. What is an RF project in electrical engineering?

An RF project in electrical engineering refers to a project that involves designing, developing, and implementing circuits and systems that use radio frequency signals for communication and transmission of information. This includes working with components such as antennas, amplifiers, filters, and modulators in order to create efficient and reliable RF systems.

2. What skills are needed to be successful in an electrical engineering senior RF project?

To be successful in an electrical engineering senior RF project, one needs to have a strong foundation in electrical engineering principles, particularly in the area of circuits and systems. Additionally, knowledge of RF design techniques and experience with software tools such as simulation and analysis programs is crucial. Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills are also essential for troubleshooting and optimizing RF systems.

3. What types of projects are commonly undertaken by electrical engineering seniors in the RF field?

Electrical engineering seniors in the RF field often work on projects related to wireless communication systems, such as designing and optimizing cellular networks or developing new technologies for wireless devices. They may also work on projects involving radar systems, satellite communication, or wireless sensor networks.

4. How long does it typically take to complete an electrical engineering senior RF project?

The duration of an electrical engineering senior RF project can vary depending on the complexity of the project, the resources available, and the specific goals and objectives. On average, these projects can take anywhere from 6 months to a year to complete, with some projects spanning multiple years.

5. What are some potential career opportunities for individuals with experience in electrical engineering senior RF projects?

Individuals with experience in electrical engineering senior RF projects can pursue careers in various industries, including telecommunication, aerospace, defense, and electronics. They may work as RF engineers, design engineers, or project managers, and have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge technologies and innovations in the field of wireless communication and RF systems.