1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Engineering Senior RF Project

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1
    Hi Folks,

I didn't know exactly where to put this post, so if it's in the wrong section, I apologize.

On to it then. I'm in my final year in EE, and I want to work on a project that lets me become comfortable with RF/Communications concepts commonly run into in industry. I was bouncing around the idea of building a WiFi sniffer or simple RF transmitter/receiver - but I wanted to come here to get some advice first.

My end goal is to work in the RF industry, preferably in RFIC design, although I know those are extremely tough jobs to get, and would possibly accept a less competitive role. I've interned in product development at a RF switch company for around a year and a half, and I just can't figure out anything that will give me good experience without expensive equipment.

Thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Building a transmitter involves government licensing issues, so for your project, building a receiver and processing the received signal is probably the way to go. A WiFi sniffer sounds like a good project. You could also look into building a trunked scanner type of receiver -- those can get pretty complicated.

4. Aug 2, 2011 #3
    Thanks berkeman, a trunked receiver seems to be largely related to software defined radio, am I correct in that assumption?

Why would a WiFi sniffer be a good project?

Back to the topic of software defined radio, I would like to pick up some experience in this field, as it's pretty interesting (I've always liked DSP) and I could see it going places. Any other suggestions with topics related to software defined radio?

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook