Electrical Engineering: what study path would be better?

In summary, the speaker is struggling to decide between two potential paths for their specialization in the upcoming year. They are torn between a major in Electronics with a minor in Power Systems and a major in Power Systems with a minor in Electronics. Their favorite courses revolve around Electronics and Electromagnetism, and they are interested in working on designing electrical devices. After much debate, they have come up with two alternative paths that include courses in Applied Electromagnetism, Power Systems Electronics, Power Networks and Systems, and a minor in either Electronics or Power Systems. They are also considering additional courses in Electrical and Servicing Systems and Stand-Alone Power Supply Systems. Ultimately, they are seeking advice from others on what may be more interesting and beneficial for
Granger
Hey guys!
So basically I'm still finding hard to decide what my specialization field should be next year. I'm really torn between a major in Electronics with a minor in Power Systems with some programming additional courses OR major in Power Systems with minor in Electronics. My favourite courses are the ones involving Electronics and Electromagnetism. I would love to work on design of electrical devices to meet specifications. I think I'm rather a person that prefers to develop a device that's going to a big structure, than to analyze and improve the big structure. After a lot of debating I came out with these 2 alternative paths for me:

A) MAJOR IN POWER SYSTEMS WITH MINOR IN ELECTRONICS

- Applied Electromagnetism and Energy Conversion:
-> Electrical Machines
-> Electrical Drives and Electrical Vehicles
-> Renewable Sources and Distributed Power Generation

-Power Systems Electronics:
->Electronic Power Conversion and Storage
-> Power Electronics for Renewable Energy

-Power Networks and Systems
-> Power System Network Analysis
-> Control and Optimization of Electric Power Systems
-> Power Systems Transients and Stability
-> Economics and Energy Markets OR High Voltage

- Minor in Electronics
-> Power Electronics
-> Integrated Electrical Systems of Solar Photovoltaic Technology
-> Sensors and Actuators

- Additional matters
-> Electrical and Servicing Systems
-> Stand-Alone Power Supply Systems

B) MAJOR IN ELECTRONICS WITH MINOR IN POWER SYSTEMS

- Electronics and Integrated Systems
-> Power Electronics
-> Analog and Digital Filters
-> Microelectronics
-> Optoelectronics
-> Integrated Electrical Systems of Solar Photovoltaic Technology
-> Analog Integrated Systems- Computer Electronic Systems
-> Sensors and Actuators
-> Signal Processing Electronic Systems
-> Pc-based Instrumentation- Minor in Power Systems
-> Renewable Sources and Distributed Power Generation
-> Electronic Power Conversion and Storage
-> Power Electronics for Renewable Energy

- Additional matters
-> Systems Programming
-> Object Oriented Programming

I don't know, there is a common field between these two but I'm very torn about what is more interesting for me to take, even in terms of jobs. Of course the decision is mind, but I would like to know what you guys think.
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Power electronics is big stuff these days, so I don't see a lot of difference in your to options. I suggest thinking about where you might want to work after graduation and see if that can guide your choice.

1. What is the difference between a degree in Electrical Engineering and a degree in Computer Engineering?

A degree in Electrical Engineering focuses on the study of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while a degree in Computer Engineering combines principles of both electrical engineering and computer science to design and develop computer systems and hardware.

2. What are the job opportunities for someone with a degree in Electrical Engineering?

Electrical Engineering graduates can work in a variety of industries, including power and energy, telecommunications, aerospace, and manufacturing. They can also pursue careers in research and development, consulting, and project management.

3. Is it necessary to specialize in a specific area of Electrical Engineering?

While it is not necessary, specializing in a specific area can provide more focused knowledge and skills that can make you more competitive in the job market. Some common areas of specialization include power systems, telecommunications, and control systems.

4. What study path would be better for someone interested in renewable energy?

A degree in Electrical Engineering with a focus on power systems or energy engineering would be a good study path for someone interested in renewable energy. Courses in power electronics, energy conversion, and renewable energy systems would be beneficial.

5. Can someone with a degree in Electrical Engineering work in software development?

While a degree in Electrical Engineering does not focus specifically on software development, graduates with this degree can still work in the software industry. They may need to supplement their education with courses in computer science or gain experience through internships or self-study to be competitive in this field.