Electrical fields can be negated, but what about gravitational fields?

• Thread starter michael650
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I was curious, that if we surround some region with a conducting surface, we shield it from electric fields, correct? Well I was wondering specifically why we cannot shield a region from gravitational fields in the same manner? I figured it was pretty intuitive, but the more I thought about it, the more confused I became!

Answers and Replies

Because there is no "negative mass", in other words it's not like electric charge where you have +/-.

Just because it is called a field doesn't mean you can think about it like E fields.

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
welcome to pf!

hi michael650! welcome to pf! :wink:
I was curious, that if we surround some region with a conducting surface, we shield it from electric fields, correct? Well I was wondering specifically why we cannot shield a region from gravitational fields in the same manner? I figured it was pretty intuitive, but the more I thought about it, the more confused I became!
the positive and negative charges on the conducting surface separate into different regions, so as to exactly cancel out the field inside the conductor …

as Curl :smile: says, there are no negative gravitational "charges", so that can't happen to the gravitational field