Electrical position feedback for hydraulic servomechanism

In summary, the task at hand is to recommend an electrical method of providing position feedback for a hydraulic servomechanism, with cost-effectiveness and reliability as key factors. The chosen method would need to involve an electrical signal, and a closed-loop block diagram with a position sensor, signal conditioning, and error detector would need to be sketched. An LVDT seems to be a suitable option for the position sensor, but further research and consultation with local companies that provide control systems may be necessary to determine the best solution.
oxon88

Homework Statement

Assume that you are employed by a company that manufactures hydraulic servomechanisms. You have been asked to recommend an electrical method of providing position feedback rather than the mechanical method used at present (pictured below).

The demand signal has been chosen to be a d.c. voltage. Cost-effectiveness and reliability are essential.

Examine position sensor options and select a cost-effective and reliable solution. Justify your choice.

Sketch a closed-loop block diagram of the modified hydraulic servomechanism, identifying the sensor, its signal conditioning and the form of error detector. You can assume that the servo valve will
be operated by a progressive solenoid that receives its operating current from a voltage-to-current converter

Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

[/B]
n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am looking for some guidance on this question. I believe it is asking me to change the mechanical link to some type of position sensor. The output of this sensor will then need to feedback to the solenoid valve and adjust its position. This will then intern change the position of the hydraulic ram (output). ultimately I think the purpose of the system is to ensure that the ram is returned to a central position if the input position changes.

Selecting the position sensor. I think the obvious option would be to use an LVDT. Would this be correct?

I have come up with this block diagram for the new servomechanisms. I am not totally sure that it is correct. should I be looking at proportional control or integral action instead?

Untitled.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You could talk to local companies that provide control systems. Some of them, I'm sure, would be glad to send you literature explaining what their various devices do. An in-person visit is even better. Maybe call and see if you can set up an appointment with one of their application engineers. I did this waaaaaay back when I was in engineering school (not the same problem, but similar) and was inundated with information and explanations. I learned a lot.

1. What is electrical position feedback for hydraulic servomechanism?

Electrical position feedback for hydraulic servomechanism is a method of measuring the position of a hydraulic actuator using electrical sensors. This feedback allows for precise control and monitoring of the actuator's position.

2. How does electrical position feedback work?

Electrical position feedback works by using sensors, such as linear potentiometers or encoders, to measure the movement of the hydraulic actuator. The sensor readings are then sent to a controller, which compares the actual position of the actuator to the desired position and adjusts the hydraulic valves accordingly.

3. What are the benefits of using electrical position feedback for hydraulic servomechanism?

The use of electrical position feedback in hydraulic servomechanism offers several benefits, including improved accuracy and precision, faster response times, and the ability to monitor and adjust the position of the actuator in real-time.

4. What are some common applications of electrical position feedback for hydraulic servomechanism?

Electrical position feedback for hydraulic servomechanism is commonly used in industrial and manufacturing settings, such as in robotics, automated machinery, and heavy equipment. It is also used in various types of control systems, including position control, velocity control, and force control.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using electrical position feedback for hydraulic servomechanism?

One potential drawback is the added complexity and cost of implementing electrical position feedback compared to traditional hydraulic systems. Additionally, electrical components may be more prone to wear and tear and require regular maintenance. However, the benefits of improved control and precision often outweigh these potential drawbacks.