1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Potential Energy?

1. Jun 11, 2004 #1
    In Feynmann's Lectures on Physics, many of you will have come across the chapter on electrostatic energy. I wonder if someone could explain to me why we have the factor 1/2 in the equation:
    [tex]
    U = \frac{1}{2} \int \rho \phi dV
    [/tex]
    where [tex] \rho [/tex] is the charge density of one distribution of charges, and [tex] \phi [/tex] is the potential due to another. This is derived from
    [tex]
    U = \frac{1}{2} \iint \frac{\rho(1) \rho(2)}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r_{12}} dV_1 dV_2
    [/tex]
    and by substituting in
    [tex]
    \phi(1) = \int \frac{\rho(2)}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r_{12}}dV_2
    [/tex]
    whence the 1's disappear since there are no 2's around.
    Feynmann explains it by saying that in this expression we count each pair of charges twice. I can understand this in the double integral, where each charge density is integrated over both volumes, but in doing the substitution Feynmann has removed [tex] \rho(1) [/tex] out of the inner integral. It seems to me that the argument for the factor 1/2 in the first place rested on the fact that one couldn't do that.
    Put another way, if we take my first expression that I have trouble with, and imagine a situation where the second charge distribution is arranged so that the potential from all its charges on the first is the same. Then [tex] \phi [/tex] would be constant and
    [tex]
    U = \frac{\phi}{2} \int \rho dV = \frac{\phi(1) q(1)}{2}
    [/tex]
    which Feynmann himself says is only half the total electrostatic energy of the system. Clarification would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. What's this warning thing I have? What have I done?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2004
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted