Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Resistance between 2 points in homogeneous plane?

1. Mar 23, 2015 #1
    Hi there!

Just say I have large square piece of some homogeneous resistive material like graphite. How would I go about determining the resistance between any two given points?

Further, just say I supply a voltage across two arbitrary points, can I determine the voltage difference between any other two arbitrary points?

I don't even know where to begin with this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2015 #2
    See Kelvin probe or four point probe for the measurement of resistance and resistivity.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-terminal_sensing
    You can also use two point probe, where you measure the current in the external circuit and the voltage between the two points. The ratio V/I will be the resistance between the two points.

About calculating the voltage between other two points, it can be done but it is not trivial. You will need to do some finite element analysis of your system.
    It depend on the geometry of the sample and probe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook