Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Resistance Heating

1. Dec 7, 2016 #1
    If this is not ok to post then let me know, but I have a question that I feel can only be answered here.

Question: Would it be possible to heat a 50' semi trailer frame to roughly 400F through electrical resistance, I know it would require a lot of power but the reason I ask is because I am starting a powder coating business and I'm not about to build an electric or gas oven that;s over 50' long. In my mind I'd think a large power supply such as a massive welding machine (maybe?) would be able to provide enough power to heat the trailer. Now this trailer is not boxed in, they are used to haul timber and 100" logs, as I live in logging country and the salt eats away these trailers like nobody's business. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2016 #2
  4. Dec 7, 2016 #3

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My recommendation would be to find a way to heat a small part at a time. Induction heating maybe? Resistance heating the whole thing at once is quite impractical. Ovens exist as ovens in part due to insulating properties. They are made to hold the heat in. You will lose heat like crazy without an oven no matter what the method of heating. At least if you are heating a small area at a time it may be possible to have a power source capable of doing so. If you do many of these trailers I think it might pay to find an oven.

5. Dec 8, 2016 #4
    I would make it a process type thing where the trailer rolls through the heating and then the Powder Coat process, So you are only heating a 4-8 foot section depending on how fast you can apply the PC. Do it with NG or propane.

6. Dec 8, 2016 #5

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you apply heat prior to the powder? What I have watched is always powder first, then roll into the oven.

7. Dec 8, 2016 #6

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aside from the problem at hand, wondering how much hardware needs to come off a trailer before heat. Most rubber and plastic I would assume. Includes lots of air lines and such.

8. Dec 8, 2016 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds right. And heating last in a process would still work?

9. Dec 8, 2016 #8
    With that much metal - I am sure pre-heat - and a finish would work best. We did this with copper busbar, fluidized bed, you do not get enough build up if us do it cold, but then we were looking for a lot build up -- 1/8".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted