Electrical Resistance Heating

In summary, heating a trailer frame through electrical resistance would be difficult and impractical. An oven may be the best option for heating a small area at a time.
Oveson
If this is not ok to post then let me know, but I have a question that I feel can only be answered here.

Question: Would it be possible to heat a 50' semi trailer frame to roughly 400F through electrical resistance, I know it would require a lot of power but the reason I ask is because I am starting a powder coating business and I'm not about to build an electric or gas oven that;s over 50' long. In my mind I'd think a large power supply such as a massive welding machine (maybe?) would be able to provide enough power to heat the trailer. Now this trailer is not boxed in, they are used to haul timber and 100" logs, as I live in logging country and the salt eats away these trailers like nobody's business. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
No.

My recommendation would be to find a way to heat a small part at a time. Induction heating maybe? Resistance heating the whole thing at once is quite impractical. Ovens exist as ovens in part due to insulating properties. They are made to hold the heat in. You will lose heat like crazy without an oven no matter what the method of heating. At least if you are heating a small area at a time it may be possible to have a power source capable of doing so. If you do many of these trailers I think it might pay to find an oven.

Likes davenn
I would make it a process type thing where the trailer rolls through the heating and then the Powder Coat process, So you are only heating a 4-8 foot section depending on how fast you can apply the PC. Do it with NG or propane.

Windadct said:
I would make it a process type thing where the trailer rolls through the heating and then the Powder Coat process, So you are only heating a 4-8 foot section depending on how fast you can apply the PC. Do it with NG or propane.
Can you apply heat prior to the powder? What I have watched is always powder first, then roll into the oven.

Aside from the problem at hand, wondering how much hardware needs to come off a trailer before heat. Most rubber and plastic I would assume. Includes lots of air lines and such.

Averagesupernova said:
What I have watched is always powder first, then roll into the oven.
Sounds right. And heating last in a process would still work?

With that much metal - I am sure pre-heat - and a finish would work best. We did this with copper busbar, fluidized bed, you do not get enough build up if us do it cold, but then we were looking for a lot build up -- 1/8".

1. What is electrical resistance heating?

Electrical resistance heating is a method of heating that uses an electrical current to generate heat. This is typically achieved by passing an electrical current through a material with high resistance, such as a heating element, which then converts the electrical energy into heat energy.

2. How does electrical resistance heating work?

In electrical resistance heating, an electrical current is passed through a material with high resistance, such as a heating element. As the current flows through the material, it encounters resistance, which causes the material to heat up. The heat is then transferred to the surrounding area, providing warmth.

3. What are the advantages of electrical resistance heating?

One of the main advantages of electrical resistance heating is its efficiency. Almost all of the electrical energy is converted into heat energy, making it a very effective method of heating. It is also a relatively simple and safe process, with no emissions or byproducts.

4. What are some common applications of electrical resistance heating?

Electrical resistance heating is commonly used in a variety of applications, including residential and commercial space heating, heating of industrial processes, cooking appliances, and water heaters. It can also be used for melting and softening materials in industrial processes.

5. Are there any drawbacks to electrical resistance heating?

One potential drawback of electrical resistance heating is its dependence on electricity, which can be expensive in some areas. It also requires a constant supply of electricity to maintain the desired level of heat. Additionally, some heating elements may need to be replaced periodically, depending on usage and maintenance.