Electricity and Magnetism: Forces on Conductors in Magnetic Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the strength and direction of the force per unit length acting on a conductor carrying an electrical current in a magnetic field, as well as the expressions for electrical resistance and total mass for a square frame of aluminium set at an angle to a magnetic field. The missing part of the frame poses a problem in determining the total mass.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

(i) What is the strength and direction of the force per unit length acting on a straight conductor carrying an electrical current, I, in a magnetic field, B?

(ii) The figure below shows a square frame of aluminium set at an angle θ to the direction of a strong static magnetic field, B, parallel to the x-axis (the y-axis is vertical). The frame has sides of length L and the arms have cross-sectional area A, with L >> √A. Write down expressions for the electrical resistance (for currents flowing around the frame) and the total mass if the density and conductivity of aluminium are ρ and σ respectively.

(iii) left out for the moment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) F = B x Il,
so F/l = BIsinφ, where φ is the angle between the direction of force and the length of the conductor and the force acts in a direction which is perpendicular to the magnetic field and the length of the conductor.

(ii) Electrical resistance R = L/σA

Total mass = ρV = ?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Well, V=LA.

Well, I know that but the problem is part of the frame is missing, so don't know how to take that into account.

Related to Electricity and Magnetism: Forces on Conductors in Magnetic Fields

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that is created by the flow of electric charge (typically carried by electrons) through a conductor. It is essential for powering many devices and technologies in our daily lives.

2. What are the basic components of an electric circuit?

The basic components of an electric circuit include a source of electrical energy, such as a battery or power plant, a conductor to carry the electric current, and a load, which is any device that uses the electricity, such as a light bulb or motor.

3. How is electricity measured?

The unit of measurement for electricity is the ampere (A), which measures the rate of flow of electric charge, and the volt (V), which measures the electric potential difference between two points. Other common units include the watt (W), which measures power, and the ohm (Ω), which measures resistance.

4. What is Ohm's law?

Ohm's law states that the electric current (I) flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage (V) and inversely proportional to the resistance (R) of the conductor. In other words, the higher the voltage, the higher the current, and the higher the resistance, the lower the current.

5. How can I calculate the power consumption of a device?

The power consumption of a device can be calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I). This is represented by the equation P = VI. For example, if a device operates at 120 volts and draws 2 amps of current, its power consumption would be 240 watts (120 x 2 = 240).