Electricity Experiment (Internal Resistance)

In summary: V2 - V1)/(I1 - I2)In summary, the conversation is about a person who is going to a physics summer camp and has been tasked with finding the internal resistance of a DC power supply using specific equipment. They discuss the use of equations and the steps for carrying out the experiment, including the importance of unplugging a resistor and using a variable resistor to find different resistances and average values. The goal is to use the gathered data to solve for the internal resistance.
leviathanX777
1. Hi I'm going to a physics Summer camp but they asked me to carry out my own experiment. This is because my dad's a physics teacher and he has a lot of equipment readily available to him. I have to find the internal resistance of a dc power supply with the following equipment given:
Power Supply
Ammeter
Voltmeter
Variable Resistor

2. V=IR

3. I don't know if I need more equations but would love to hear some feedback on how to do this!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Connect DC power supply, ammeter and variable resistor in series. Connect volt meter parallel to the variable resistor.
Unplug a resistance R1 and find the current I1 and voltage V1.
I1 = V1/R1 = E/(R1 + r). repeat the same thing for another resistor. Solve the two equations to get the internal resistance of power supply.

So I'm guessing r is the internal resistance and E is the emf(voltage)? Why do I ahve to unplg the resistor in the first place to find the current and voltage?

What is the use of variable resistor?

To find different resistances, thus find different currents and voltages to get the average? Is little r internal resistance? So can you give me a step by step guideline for the experiment?

Well. connect DC power supply, ammeter and variable resistance in series. Set the variable at one position. Note down the ammeter reading. Note down the voltage V1 across variable resistor using volt meter. Let I1 be the current, . Repeat the same thing for another position of the variable resistor.
You can also write E = V1 + I1r = V2 + I2r, and find r

1. What is internal resistance in an electricity experiment?

Internal resistance is the measure of resistance within a voltage source, such as a battery, that limits the flow of electric current. It is caused by the resistance of the materials within the battery, such as the electrodes and electrolyte solution.

2. How is internal resistance measured in an electricity experiment?

Internal resistance can be measured by connecting a known load resistance to the voltage source and measuring the voltage drop across the load. This can be done using a voltmeter and an ammeter to calculate the internal resistance using Ohm's law (R = V/I).

3. Why is internal resistance important in an electricity experiment?

Internal resistance plays a crucial role in determining the performance and efficiency of an electrical circuit. It can affect the overall voltage and current delivered by the source, as well as the rate of energy loss within the circuit.

4. How does temperature affect internal resistance in an electricity experiment?

Temperature can have a significant impact on internal resistance, as it can alter the conductivity of the materials within the voltage source. As the temperature increases, the internal resistance also tends to increase, resulting in a decrease in the overall voltage and current output.

5. Can internal resistance be reduced in an electricity experiment?

While internal resistance cannot be eliminated entirely, it can be reduced by using materials with higher conductivity or by using multiple batteries in parallel. Additionally, keeping the voltage source at a lower temperature can also help reduce the internal resistance and improve the overall performance of the electrical circuit.