Electrochemistry; redox potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the redox potential for the equation Cr2(SO4)3 + 4K2SO4 + 3I2 +7H2O <=> K2Cr2O7 + 6KI +7H2SO4 using the Nernst equation. The potentials for the half reactions 2Cr(3+)+7H2O -> Cr2O7(2-) +14H(+) +6e(-) and I2 +2e(-) ->2I(-) are calculated to be -1.42V and 0.51V, respectively, with all ion concentrations at 0.1. It is clarified that the Nernst equation
vaazu

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the redox potential of this equation:
Cr2(SO4)3 + 4K2SO4 + 3J2 +7H2O <=> K2Cr2O7 + 6KJ +7H2SO4
I used the nernst equation to calculate the potentials of
2Cr(3+)+7H2O -> Cr2O7(2-) +14H(+) +6e(-) and
I2 +2e(-) ->2J(-)
which were -1.42V and 0.51V, all ion concentrations were 0.1

Is the overall redox potential the sum of these potentials?

Physics news on Phys.org
vaazu said:
1. Cr2(SO4)3 + 4K2SO4 + 3J2 +7H2O <=> K2Cr2O7 + 6KJ +7H2SO4
I used the nernst equation to calculate the potentials of
2Cr(3+)+7H2O -> Cr2O7(2-) +14H(+) +6e(-) and
I2 +2e(-) ->2J(-)
which were -1.42V and 0.51V, all ion concentrations were 0.1

Is the overall redox potential the sum of these potentials?

Are these J's typos, meaning I instead?

So you used the Nerst equation to calculate the half cell potentials? The Nerst equation is used to find the overall redox potential for the overall redox reaction, not half cell potential as implied here.

The standard half cell potentials for these half reactions are used (look up in a table) to calculate Eo, find the number of electrons transferred and use the 0.1 concentrations in the ions for the overall reaction.

eli64 said:

Interesting. J was iodine symbol up to around 1980, it is used this way in older books.

So you used the Nerst equation to calculate the half cell potentials? The Nerst equation is used to find the overall redox potential for the overall redox reaction, not half cell potential as implied here.

It works both ways.

eli64 said:

The standard half cell potentials for these half reactions are used (look up in a table) to calculate Eo, find the number of electrons transferred and use the 0.1 concentrations in the ions for the overall reaction.

Yes the J was typo, it should be I. Don´t know what was I thinking. Could you explain me, how the Eo is calculated, or what should I be looking for? Is the reaction standard potential calculated between the pair which actually exchanged electrons Cr(3+) and I2, or somehow between the chrome and iodide pairs.

Last edited:

What is electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of chemical reactions that involve the transfer of electrons between substances, also known as redox reactions. It is the study of the relationship between electricity and chemical reactions.

What is redox potential?

Redox potential, also known as oxidation-reduction potential, is a measure of the tendency of a substance to gain or lose electrons in a chemical reaction. It is a measure of the ability of a substance to act as an oxidizing agent or a reducing agent.

What is an electrochemical cell?

An electrochemical cell is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy or vice versa through a redox reaction. It consists of two electrodes, an anode and a cathode, which are connected by an electrolyte solution. The flow of electrons between the electrodes generates an electrical current.

What is the difference between oxidation and reduction?

Oxidation is the process of losing electrons, while reduction is the process of gaining electrons. In an oxidation-reduction reaction, one substance will be oxidized (lose electrons) while another will be reduced (gain electrons). Oxidation and reduction always occur together in a redox reaction.

How is the redox potential of a substance determined?

The redox potential of a substance is determined by measuring the voltage produced when it is in contact with a standard hydrogen electrode. The standard hydrogen electrode has a known redox potential of 0 volts and is used as a reference point. The redox potential of a substance is then compared to the standard hydrogen electrode to determine its relative tendency to gain or lose electrons.