How Does Lightning Affect Lattice Behavior in Macroscopic Theory?

• Thread starter armandowww
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy density in an electric field and how it relates to optical power. The speaker also mentions the use of Gaussian units and the inclusion of root-square-two terms in their formula. The Poynting vector is also brought up as a potential factor in this concept.
armandowww
I was searching for some proof on macroscopical theory about lattice behaviour under lightning. I found a passage in which the average in time of optical power is given by average of electrical field square times constant dielectric ratio four pi! How could I explain this concept?
Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about - it would help if you provided a reference or link to the passage.

In general, the energy density of an electric field is half the number you stated.

[tex]\frac{d{\cal E}}{dV} = \frac{1}{2} \epsilon E^2~~(SI~Units)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d{\cal E}}{dV} = \frac{1}{8\pi} \epsilon_r E^2~~(Gaussian~Units)[/tex]

I've just forgot to say you I'm in gaussian units... but your 8 is my 4

Mayhap... the reason is this: you told about an energy density at a given instant, while the time average of my waves (PLANE waves) has brought new root-square-two terms (2 terms because E is the base of a power 2) forward in my formula...
Is the Poynting vector involved in anyway?
Thank you

[tex]E_{RMS} = \frac{E_0}{\sqrt{2}} [/tex]

That would only make things worse.

[tex]\frac{d{\cal E}}{dV} = \frac{1}{8\pi} \epsilon_r E_{RMS}^2 = \frac{1}{16\pi} \epsilon_r E_0^2[/tex]

1. What is electrodynamical oblivion?

Electrodynamical oblivion is a theoretical concept that refers to the complete destruction or annihilation of all electromagnetic energy in a given space or system. It is often used in discussions about the end of the universe or the collapse of a black hole.

2. How does electrodynamical oblivion occur?

There are a few different theories about how electrodynamical oblivion could occur. One possibility is through the collision of two massive objects, such as two black holes, which could release huge amounts of energy and cause the destruction of all electromagnetic fields in the vicinity. Another possibility is through the collapse of a black hole, which would result in the complete obliteration of all matter and energy.

3. Is electrodynamical oblivion a realistic possibility?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that electrodynamical oblivion will occur in our universe. However, it is a concept that is explored in theoretical physics and has not been ruled out as a possibility in extreme circumstances.

4. Can we observe electrodynamical oblivion?

No, it is not possible to directly observe electrodynamical oblivion as it is a theoretical concept and has not been observed in our universe. However, scientists can study and make predictions about it using mathematical models and simulations.

5. What are the potential implications of electrodynamical oblivion?

If electrodynamical oblivion were to occur, it would have catastrophic consequences for any systems or life forms that rely on electromagnetic fields, such as our own. It could also potentially lead to the destruction of the entire universe, depending on the circumstances in which it occurs.