Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrodynamical oblivion

1. Nov 26, 2005 #1
    I was searching for some proof on macroscopical theory about lattice behaviour under lightning. I found a passage in which the average in time of optical power is given by average of electrical field square times constant dielectric ratio four pi! How could I explain this concept?
    Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about - it would help if you provided a reference or link to the passage.

In general, the energy density of an electric field is half the number you stated.

[tex]\frac{d{\cal E}}{dV} = \frac{1}{2} \epsilon E^2~~(SI~Units)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d{\cal E}}{dV} = \frac{1}{8\pi} \epsilon_r E^2~~(Gaussian~Units)[/tex]

4. Nov 26, 2005 #3
    I've just forgot to say you I'm in gaussian units... but your 8 is my 4

5. Nov 26, 2005 #4
    Mayhap... the reason is this: you told about an energy density at a given instant, while the time average of my waves (PLANE waves) has brought new root-square-two terms (2 terms because E is the base of a power 2) forward in my formula...
    Is the Poynting vector involved in anyway?
    Thank you

6. Nov 26, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]E_{RMS} = \frac{E_0}{\sqrt{2}} [/tex]

That would only make things worse.

[tex]\frac{d{\cal E}}{dV} = \frac{1}{8\pi} \epsilon_r E_{RMS}^2 = \frac{1}{16\pi} \epsilon_r E_0^2[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?