How does electromagnetic forming of sheet metal work?

In summary, an electromagnet creates a large electrostatic gradient which attracts the positive charge to the center of a coin, causing it to shrink.
chididdy
Hi,

Can someone explain to me how electromagnetic forming of sheet metal works? I understand how shrinking of cylinders works -- e.g. aluminum cans and tubes.

Let's use the coin-shrinking trick as an example; it can be viewed as a sheet of metal. A coin is placed in the center of a coil. A large transient discharge of electrical current is passed through the coil. The coil's magnetic field induces an eddy current in the coin. The eddy current creates an opposing magnetic field. The eddy current is rotating in the opposite direction as the coil current and thus the eddy current is forced radially inwards. Now, why would that make the coin deform -- i.e., shrink radially. Wouldn't the current density just increase towards the center of the coin? I understand how a tube or can would deform, as the charge carriers cannot leave the boundaries of the metal conductor, but a coin has no such boundary -- radially inward -- and the charge carriers are not bound in any way to the metal lattice.

Also, it has been said that the eddy current in the coin will tend to stay along the circumference of the coin due to the skin effect. So, there are two forces influencing the distribution of the eddy current -- i.e. the skin effect and the Lorentz force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_forming"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_forming"

THanks!
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

OK, I was thinking about this a bit more. As the eddy current gets constricted to the center of the coin (i.e., due to lorentz force), the mobile charge carriers (i.e., electrons) concentrate in the center and creates a large electrostatic -- well not quite static -- gradient which attracts the stationary positive bound charges of the metal lattice towards the center of the coin.

does that make any sense at all? I don't claim to be a physics expert BTW. I'd love to hear some other explanations.

Thanks
Ken

sorry, I don't mean to beat this horse to death. Does anyone know whom I may ask to get a correct answer to my question? Any electromagnetics experts and/or forums that you can suggest? Thanks!

What is electromagnetic forming?

Electromagnetic forming is a manufacturing process that uses high-intensity magnetic fields to shape and form metals into desired shapes. It is a non-contact process that does not require physical contact between the workpiece and the forming tool.

How does electromagnetic forming work?

Electromagnetic forming works by using a high-voltage capacitor bank to generate a strong electromagnetic field, which induces a current in the workpiece. The interaction between the magnetic field and the current causes a repulsive force, which deforms the workpiece into the desired shape.

What are the advantages of electromagnetic forming?

Some advantages of electromagnetic forming include high forming speeds, minimal tool wear, and the ability to form complex shapes with high precision. It is also a non-thermal process, meaning it does not introduce heat into the workpiece, making it suitable for forming heat-sensitive materials.

What types of materials can be formed using electromagnetic forming?

Electromagnetic forming can be used on a variety of materials, including metals such as aluminum, steel, and copper, as well as non-conductive materials like composites and ceramics. The material must be able to conduct electricity for the process to work effectively.

What are the applications of electromagnetic forming?

Electromagnetic forming is commonly used in the automotive, aerospace, and electronics industries for forming sheet metal components, such as car body panels, aircraft wings, and electronic enclosures. It is also used in the production of consumer goods, such as kitchenware and appliances.